MBBS in UK: Complete Guide for International Students
MBBS in UK is a 5 to 6 year program offered as MB (Bachelor of Medicine) in BS, ChB, BCh and BAO. All four are equivalent to each other and deals with three major areas of medical study: medicine, surgery and obstetrics. Over 42,190 medical students were studying in UK in the academic year 2017-19 out of which more than 55% were female.
- Indian students are required to score at least 50 percentile in NEET to apply for MBBS at UK universities.
- Annual tuition fees for MBBS in UK is approximately between 22,800 GBP to 52,000 GBP.
- Students have to register themselves at General Medical Council (GMC) of UK after completion of MBBS from medical colleges of UK to practise as a doctor.
Why Study MBBS in UK?
Following are some of the reasons why a medical aspirant should pursue MBBS in the UK:
- 45 of the UK universities were included in the list of top 600 medical universities of the world, according to QS News Ranking 2020.
- The average salary of a Doctor/Physician in UK is 67% more than that of other health and medical occupations.
- Paygrade of Doctors/Physicians has been increasing continuously from the past 4 years. Annual pay increased from 245,000 GBP in 2016 to 267,000 GBP in 2019.
- Graduates of MBBS at UK universities are not required to appear for Foreign Medical Graduate Examination to practise in India.
- Salary of surgeons in the UK is 54,000 GBP per annum and ranks at 4th position in the world leaving behind countries like Australia and Canada.
- MBBS in USA takes 7 to 9 years to complete while in UK, it can be completed in 5 to 6 years.
Top Universities for MBBS in UK
Out of 45 universities of UK ranking among top 600 medical universities of the world, 3 are within the top 10 list and offer MBBS program, as per the QS Ranking 2020.
The table provided below lists the 10 best MBBS colleges in UK along with the program offered, duration and total tuition fees:
|QS Ranking 2020||University||Course||Total Program Fees (in GBP)|
|2||University of Oxford||BM BCh Medicine; 6 years||137,274|
|3||University of Cambridge||MB BChir; 6 years||312,000|
|9||University College London||MBBS/BSC Medicine; 6 years||236,178|
|12||Imperial College London||MBBS/BSC Medicine; 6 years||273,840|
|20||King's College London||MBBS Medicine; 5 years||151,330|
|22||University of Edinburgh||MBChB Medicine; 5 years||137,280|
|35||University of Manchester||MBChB; 5 years||133,080|
|48||University of Glasgow||MBChB; 5 years||239,500|
|51 – 100||Newcastle University||MBBS Medicine and Surgery; 5 years||168,000|
|51 – 100||Queen Mary University of London||MBBS Medicine; 5 years||196,815|
Course Structure of MBBS in UK
The curriculum and structure of MBBS at UK universities is slightly different from that of India. As already mentioned in the introduction, an MB degree is awarded here which qualifies a student as a medical doctor. It is the minimum qualification required to practise as a doctor in the UK.
In addition to MB, top universities of the UK award other degrees such as BS, ChB or BCh which stands for Bachelor of Surgery. These degrees are equivalent to each other and a student becomes eligible to practise as a surgeon after completing them.
Students interested in obstetrics must pass the obstetrics portion of the exam. The degree awarded after qualifying this exam is known as BAO (Bachelor of Obstetrics)
Thus, MBBS in the UK is equivalent to MB(BS, ChB or Bch), BAO depending upon the university from which you are pursuing your medical degree. Here BAO is optional depending upon the interest of the student.
Application Process for MBBS in UK
Indian students are required to have a 10+2 completion certificate and NEET test scores to apply for MBBS at UK universities.
How to Apply for MBBS in the UK
Let’s discuss the following steps to apply for MBBS at UK universities:
- Gather all your documents and get the same verified by the respective authorities. If you are residing at Non-EU State, apply before 1st September & 30th June. For someone from EU State, apply before 15th January.
- You can apply via UCAS portal or directly through the university’s website. So, simply register yourself on either of them and submit your application form.
- After your submission, wait for the confirmation and invitation letter.
- Now you must visit the nearest British Embassy to start the immigration process.
- You can communicate an arrival date to the university in advance so that a representative can come and pick you up.
Eligibility for MBBS in the UK Admission
- At least 18 years old
- At least 80 % in your 10+2 (scores in Chemistry and Biology are essential in this case)
- UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT), the Biomedical Admissions Test (BMAT), or GAMSAT test scores
Average cut-off score for tests required to study in the UK are tabulated below:
|Test||Minimum Score Required|
|BMAT||4.5 – 5.0|
|GAMSAT||60 – 66|
Important Documents Required for MBBS in UK Admission
- Attested Marksheets of 10+2 along with their copies.
- Any diploma certificate.
- A reference letter on your Academics by any recent professor.
- Work experience Letters with recommendations from supervisors, if any.
- A Statement of Purpose.
- Your updated Resume.
- Photocopy of IELTS/UKCAT/BMAT scores.
- Also, you will have to provide proof of funds.
Proof of English Proficiency for International Students
For taking admission to any UK colleges, you will have to appear for the IELTS. The exam will test your listening, speaking, and writing skills. The average cut off score is 6.5 for most the top-ranked colleges in the UK.
Now, what happens if you fail to hit the cut-off in IELTS & 10+2?
Students who fail to secure the marks mentioned above in 10+2 or IELTS have to take up a Foundation Course of 1 year. In that course, one has to score at least 75 % and perform well in the GD/PI rounds to make it to the international programs. In case you fail to secure 75 %, you will get the opportunity to enrol in a three year Internationally Recognized Biomedical Science Degree.
Process for Visa Application in UK
After deciding on the course you want to study, the next step is to apply for the UK student visa.
To meet all the requirements, you will need the following documents:
- Your passport and photocopy of the same.
- Recent photograph.
- A consent letter from your university or college is required.
- Proof of English proficiency
- Proofs of financial condition
- A non-EU or Swiss student may also require an additional ATAS certificate.
The Tier 4 student visa fee for Indian students is 32,930 INR. Apart from that, if you want to study the English Language for 11 months, the fees will be 17,601 INR.
Pre-Departure Checklist for International Students travelling to the UK
Before moving to the UK, you must need a few documents which are an absolute necessity. Please take a look at them below:
- You must carry your Passport and Visa.
- Carry your Flight tickets and other relevant travel documents.
- You must carry all the University documents, which also includes CAS.
- Your cheques or any debit/credit cards.
- You must provide proof of your Finances to support your living.
- Travel insurance documents
- Accommodation details
- A consent letter from a local guardian in cases of a minor student.
Cost of Studying MBBS in UK
Due to the program duration and additional utilities required while pursuing an MBBS in UK, the total cost for international students is slightly higher than other medical degrees. Total expenses incurred while studying abroad can be divided into three categories: Pre-arrival Cost, Tuition Fees and Cost of Living.
This is the one-time fees that students interested to pursue MBBS in UK have to pay before getting accepted at the university.
|Type of Expense||Cost (in GBP)|
|Application Fees||60- 90|
|Visa Application Fees||348|
|IELTS Registration Fee||150|
|TOEFL Registration Fee||140|
Tuition Fees of MBBS at UK Universities
The University of Cambridge and University of Glasgow has the highest annual tuition fees for MBBS in the UK ie. 52,000 GBP and 47,900 GBP per annum.
Cost of Living in UK
The cost of living in the UK is dependent on your lifestyle. It also depends on the location to an extent. The cost of living in London is a little higher than in other places. In London, the average cost for living excluding the college fees can be £1,020 per month, whereas outside London it may come down to £820.
Other monthly expenses that students might have to pay are:
- Food: 50 GBP
- Gas and electricity bills: 45 - £55 GBP per month
- Beer or wine: 3.19 GBP and 3.6 GBP respectively
If you opt for an off-campus stay, then you will find plenty of apartments, flats, or hostels on a sharing basis. The lodging facilities in the UK are top class, so you will never need to worry about accommodation here. The average cost of accommodation in UK is £400.
Scholarships for MBBS in UK
Universities offer a variety of scholarships to international students in the UK. Waivers on the course fees are provided based on excellent academic records throughout or extracurricular achievements.
Documents Required for Scholarship
- Photocopies of academic records.
- An updated resume.
- A nicely written Letter of Intent.
- TOEFL or IELTS score certificates.
- Letters of reference on account of outstanding academic or extracurricular performance.
Now, let’s discuss a few scholarship programs for all international students below:
|Scholarship||Amount (in GBP)|
|Global Health Future Laeders Scholarship||2,500|
|Hulk York Medical School International Scholarship||8,737|
|Imperial College Faculty of Medicine Scholarship||1,000|
Detailed information on above-tabulated scholarships are listed below:
- Chevening Scholarship: It is a scholarship program for international students who possess excellent academic records and fantastic leadership qualities. Chevening scholarship also offers you to study 1 year post-graduate degree course with any university.
- The timeline for the application of this scholarship is August to November. The shortlisting of candidates happens by February.
- The interview happens between March to May, and the announcement of results happen by early June.
- The scholarship worth is 18,000 GBP.
- Global Health Future Leaders Scholarship: Liverpool School of TropicalMedicine offers this scholarship in the field of medical science to students from developing countries.
- The scholarship is for students who are already pursuing graduate courses in the field of medicine like Tropical Medicine & Hygiene.
- This program will offer you two fully funded PG courses in Medical Science.
- The application deadline is by April, and it pays partial course fees up to 2,500 GBP.
- Hull York Medical School International Scholarships: This scholarship aims at funding international students to pursue their careers in medical science.
- It covers 1/4th of the tuition fees each year for the first two years after the successful completion of the course.
- The worth of this scholarship is about 8,737 GBP.
- This scholarship is applicable to those pursuing the MBBS course in the UK.
- To avail of this scholarship, you must have a course offered by September.
- By March, you can expect to receive a link for the application.
- Faculty of Medicine Scholarship: It is an initiative of the Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine. This scholarship is worth 1,000 GBP per year for students pursuing MBBS in the UK. The deadline to apply for this scholarship is by 28th April 2020.
- Rhodes Scholarship: It comes second in the list of most prestigious scholarships in the UK. The program covers all college or university fees, personal stipend, and one economy class flight ticket to Oxford. It also includes the cost of the return ticket of a student to his/her home country.
- Rhodes Scholarship is available for Indian students.
- The scholars typically possess outstanding intellect, leadership, and commitment to service.
- The application date starts from June till July.
- It will offer you an annual stipend of 15,141 GBP.
For more scholarships in UK, click here
PG After MBBS in UK
Students can pursue MD/MS with a specialization of their interest after completion of MBBS in UK. PG in Dermatology and Orthopedics two other popular postgraduate programs preferred by many higher education aspirants.
MD/MS after MBBS in UK
This program focuses on providing rotational training on various specialities of medicine. Students develop comprehensive skills and get the opportunity to work in reputed hospitals while pursuing PG after MBBS in UK.
Following are some of the specializations available in MD/MS program in UK:
Admission Requirements for PG after MBBS in UK
To be eligible for admission in the master's program in universities of UK, students are required to fulfil the following criteria:
- MBBS degree equivalent to that of UK
- Minimum two years of work experience (could be more for some universities)
- Explanation of year gap (if any)
- Registration with medical council
- Minimum IELTS score of 7.0 to 7.5 or equivalent test score as a proof of English proficiency
If you are a qualified doctor from any other country and want to pursue postgraduation from UK, you have to pass PLAB test. However, some universities extempt students from submitting this test scores and admits students directly to the MD/MS program.
Career Opportunities after MBBS in UK
The average salary of Doctors/Physicians in UK is 276,000 GBP which is 67% more than what people employed in health and medical sector get. It is also approximately 56% higher the the average salary for all jobs in UK.
To practise as a doctor in UK, students must register themselves at UK Medical Registrar maintained by GMC. Following are the requirements for obtaining this licence:
- Minimum IELTS score of 7.0 or equivalent test scores as a proof of English proficiency
- Proof of all medical, non-medical and other activities taken up in the last five years or since graduation
- A primary medical qualification
- Explanation of year gap in education or medical practice (if any)
Table below mentions a few jobs in UK and their average salaries after pursuing MBBS:
|Job Roles||Average Annual Salary (in GBP)|
|General Medical Practitioner||221,000|
Studying MBBS in the UK is an excellent career option for any international student. Besides the infrastructure and quality of education here makes it one of the safest countries in the world. The accommodation and food are of the highest quality as well, apart from various social schemes for international students. Well, start your research for the best college and come to the UK to fulfil your MBBS dreams!
Ques.What is the cost of MBBS in UK for Indian students?
Ans. The annual tuition fees of universities offering MBBS in UK ranges between 21,00,000 INR to 50,00,000 INR. The average cost of living for an Indian student in UK is approximately 12,00,000 INR per annum.
Ques.Can I do PG after MBBS in UK?
Ans. Yes, you are eligible to pursue postgraduate program after MBBS at UK universities. Most of the graduates of this degree opt for MD/MS depending upon the specialization of their interest.
Ques. Name some of the best MBBS colleges in UK.
Ans. University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, University College London and Imperial College London are some of the top ranking colleges for MBBS in the UK.
Ques.What is the salary of MBBS Doctor in UK?
Ans. After completion of MBBS in UK, you can earn up to 276,000 GBP per annum. The salary for surgeons in this country is 4th highest in the world.
Ques.How can I study MBBS in UK?
Ans. To study MBBS at UK universities, you are required to have a 10+2 certificate and UKCAT or BMAT test scores. Indian students also require NEET test scores.