With 54% of the output, UK holds the 2nd position globally, for science and research. According to QS Top Universities, there are more than 20 engineering colleges in UK ranking globally, making the country one of the top choices among international students to study abroad.
Let's take a look at some facts that will give us an insight into the engineering profession of the country:
- The UK invests approximately 9.5 billion GBP a year on engineering research.
- As a result, an estimated amount of 280 billion GBP is added to the gross value of the country in return.
- Currently, due to the sector-wide skills shortage of engineers in the UK, the annual demand for them is estimated to rise to approximately 124,000 engineers by the year 2024.
Evidently, these above-mentioned factors make studying in the UK a perfect destination for anyone who wants to pursue Engineering.
Best Engineering Colleges in UK
Out of the 100 top engineering universities in the world, 20 of them are located in the UK. The following table displays few of the best engineering colleges in UK along with their global rankings, as per the QS Ranking for 2020:
|#3||University of Cambridge||2 Bachelors; 13 Master;14 Doctoral|
|#7||Imperial College London||4 Bachelors; 30 Masters; 4 Doctoral|
|#=39||University College London (UCL)||25 Bachelors; 37 Masters; 10 Doctoral|
|#=45||University of Manchester||15 Bachelors; 23 Masters|
|#=66||University of Edinburgh||7 Bachelors; 13 Masters; 9 Doctoral|
Note: The list of the university-wise programs is not exhaustive. At the masters level, there are options of going for dual degrees too.
Engineering Colleges in UK: Specialisations and Degree Types
Engineering is a diverse course and is offered under various specialisations in engineering colleges in UK. The courses can be offered for duration as short as 9 months to as long as 5 years, depending on the specialisation and the level of degree chosen.
Following are some of the specialisation offered in engineering courses in UK:
|Aerospace and Aerothermal Engineering||Electrical and Information Sciences|
|Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering||Computing|
|Electrical and Electronic Engineering||Design Engineering|
These are the following degree types offered by UK universities in the field of Engineering:
- Undergraduate Degrees - Bachelors in Engineering and Bachelors in Science
- Graduate Degrees - Master of Engineering, MPhil, Master of Engineering Science,etc.
- Doctorate Degrees - Doctor of Philosophy/ Phd, MRes and Professional Doctorate
Undergraduate Programs at Engineering Colleges in UK
Universities of the UK are the second most popular universities in the world for their engineering courses. More than 400,000 international students are attracted to this country each year.
According to a survey conducted by ISB (International Student Barometer), 86% of the undergraduate students are satisfied with the overall education system of the country.
Listed below are the few of the many engineering colleges in UK offering an undergraduate degree:
|Program||University||Duration||Annual Fees (in GBP)|
|B.Eng||University of Cambridge||4 years||27,614|
|B.Eng Electrical and Electronic Engineering||Imperial College London||3 years||34,156|
|B.Eng Chemical||University College London||3 years||27,044|
|B.Eng Mechatronic Engineering||University of Manchester||3 years||24,000|
|BEng Civil Engineering||University of Edinburgh||4 years||27,550|
Eligibility for Bachelors in Engineering in UK Admission
Students are required to meet the following eligibility requirements to get into an undergraduate program in engineering colleges in UK. However, the list is not exhaustive and might vary from university to university.
- Students must have a science background
- Applicants are required to achieve a minimum of 80-90% in grade 12 with at least 75% in Mathematics.
- A minimum english language score of 6.0 - 7.5 in IELTS, 90-110 in TOEFL, 58-69 in PTE or any other equivalent exams
- Applicants might be required to take some additional tests depending upon the university.
- Documents required might include 2-3 letters of recommendation, SOP and so on.
Fees and Funding for Bachelors in Engineering in UK
The annual fees for studying a bachelors degree in Engineering in UK ranges between 24,000 - 36000 GBP. Furthermore, the cost of living in UK is high but there are various types of financial support for international students in UK available in the form of scholarships, loans, etc.
Postgraduate Programs at Engineering Colleges in UK
A master in engineering in the UK helps a student earn approximately 93% more than a bachelor's degree, so the students are always looking forward to studying further. The engineering colleges in UK are widely known for its range of short-term masters programs. The length of the program may vary from 9 month to 2 years.
Following are a few popular programs offered at master’s level by various universities:
|Programs||Universities||Duration||Annual Fees (in GBP)|
|M.Phil in Advanced Chemical Engineering||University of Cambridge||11 months||34,296|
|Msc Advanced Aeronautical Engineering||Imperial College London||1 year||32,500|
|Civil ENgineering Msc||University College London||1 year||28,530|
|Msc Advanced Control and Systems Engineering||University of Manchester||1 year||25,000|
|Msc Advanced Chemical Engineering||University of Edinburgh||1 year||28,150|
Additionally, there are some universities that provide a few postgraduate diploma and certificate courses.
- University of Strathclyde - This university offers a 9 months full-time PG diploma program in Advanced Mechanical Engineering.
- Swansea University - This university offers a 1-year full time PG diploma course in Computer Modelling and Finite Elements in Engineering Mechanics.
- Queen's University Belfast - This university offers a 1-year full-time Pg Diploma course in Environmental Engineering.
Eligibility for Masters in Engineering in UK
The applicants willing to apply for a masters degree might be required to fulfill the following admission requirements. However, these requirements may vary from university to university.
- Students will have to fulfill the department based requirements of a particular university.
- A three or four undergraduate degree or equivalent with a minimum GPA of 75% or higher.
- All the international students will have to give exams for studying in UK (IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc)
- Documents such as CV, letters of recommendation, SOP, etc, have to be submitted.
Fees and Funding for Masters in Engineering in UK
Each type of masters can cost an international student differently, depending upon the specialisation. The annual fees of studying masters in engineering in UK is 25,000 - 35,000 GBP which is very high. However, the salary earned may reach up to 112,000 GBP per year. Therefore, the ROI is also very high.
Doctoral Programs at Engineering Colleges in UK
The doctoral programs in engineering may be offered in the form of Phd, Integrated Phd, Professional Phd, etc. The duration of the program is 3-4 years.
Popular Phd programs in Engineering are provided by the following UK universities.
|Programs||Universities||Duration||Annual Fees in (GBP)|
|Doctor of Philosophy (Phd) Engineering||University of Cambridge||4 years||30,944|
|Chemical Engineering Phd||Imperial College London||3-4 years||25,250|
|Mechanical Engineering Phd||University College London||3 years||24,470|
|Phd Electrical and Electronic Engineering||University of Manchester||3 years||24,000|
|Phd engineering||University of Edinburgh||3 years||23,500|
Eligibility for PhD in Engineering in UK Admission
A Phd program is the highest-valued degree in any stream and can help you earn 23% more than a Masters degree. For Pursuing Phd in engineering colleges in UK, following criteria should be fulfilled.
- A student must have completed a bachelor's degree with at least upper second-class honours.
- A master’s degree in the relative field.
- Relevant work experience is required to be present by the student.
- English Language scores such as TOEFL (90-110), IELTS (7.0) or any other equivalent.
- Students are required to present a research proposal.
Fees and Funding for PhD in Engineering in UK
The annual fees for studying a doctoral degree in UK costs around 24,000 - 31,000 GBP, approximately. The cost incurred can be funded by various scholarships provided by the government, private organisations and universities.
Scholarships Available in Engineering Colleges in UK
Studying in UK universities might make a big hole in your pocket. However, the 20% international students population, studying in the country, are provided with some sort of financial support in the form of scholarships, student loans and so on.
Three types of scholarships are available to international students in the UK - global scholarships, country-specific scholarships and university-specific scholarships.
Following are the few general and university-specific scholarships that an international student can avail.
|Scholarship||University||Details||Amount (in GBP)|
|Chevening Scholarships||All UK universities||Available for Chevening available country||Variable|
|Oxford and Cambridge Society of India Scholarships||University of Cambridge & University of Oxford||Indian students pursuing any level of degree||4600|
|Global Study Awards||All UK universities||Available for students pursuing UG and PG level degree||10,000|
|Quality Company Formation Scholarship||Imperial college London||One time amount for PG students||1000|
|The University of Manchester India Scholarship||Manchester University||Indian students pursuing masters||10,000|
|ANID FEE Partnership||University College London||Merit-based||25% of the tuition fee|
Engineering in UK - Job Prospects and Salary Trends
Almost 62% of students finishing an engineering degree in UK get a job within 6 months of graduating implying that the course is worthwhile in terms of career prospects. Although, in the past years, engineering roles such as electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil and product engineers are seen to be listed on the Shortage Occupation List (SOL). Such shortages are being met by recruiting international graduates opening a variety of jobs for international students in UK.
Let’s see the salary trends of engineers in the United Kingdom.
- According to the analysis of the Office of National Statistics for EngineeringUK 2016, there were 687,575 registered companies in the engineering sector in UK.
- According to the demand forecasts, there will be a net requirement of 57.7% in the engineering sector.
- An estimate of 1,240,000 graduate and technical engineering job roles will arise till the year 2024 due to replacement and expansion demand (new jobs).
- The average salary in any field of engineering ranges between 47,000 - 200,000 GBP per annum depending upon the specialisation, level of degree, city and others.
- The salary is subjected to an increment of 10% every 15 months, which is higher than the average of 9% every 15 months.
- More than 50% of the engineers in UK are paid a 3-5% bonus, per year.
The following table will give you a brief idea of the annual salary earned by engineers with different specialisations.
|Job Profiles||Annual Salary (in GBP)|
|Engineer||47,600 - 165,000|
|Electrical Engineer||61,000 - 179,000|
|Civil Engineer||57,200 - 168,000|
|Geotechnical Engineer||58,000 - 201,000|
|Industrial Engineer||48,800 - 169,000|
|Marine Engineer||53,400 - 157,000|
|Materials Engineer||48,900 - 156,000|
|Mechanical Engineer||52,600 - 182,000|
|Product Development Engineer||58,400 - 186,000|
Large companies such as Airbus, Aston Martin, Dyson and others hire engineers in UK.
With the opportunity of studying in world-class universities and getting a spectacular array of job opportunities, the United Kingdom is the best choice for any international student planning to study engineering abroad.