What is the BTech IT course?
BTech IT is a bachelor’s degree course in Information Technology, which has a duration of 4 years, but it can be extended up to 6 years. BTech Information Technology is the study of computer-based systems and deals with both hardware as well as software components of a computer system.
Know More About IT Courses
In order to stand eligible for the BTech IT course, the students must have passed 10+2 from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects. Some of the important subjects which are included in the BTech IT Syllabus are Computer Organization, Operating System, Computer Networks, and many more.
Admission to BTech IT program will be done mostly on the basis of the performance of the candidates in the entrance test. However, some of the private colleges also have a direct admission process. The Top BTech IT Colleges in India also offer Lateral Entry Admission to students and accept them directly in the 2nd year of the course.
The average tuition fee of the course ranges between INR 30,000 and INR 50,000 in government institutions. However, It may reach up to 8 LPA in private institutions across India.
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Technology in Information Technology|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% in 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as the main subjects.|
|Admission Process||Direct Admission or on the basis of Entrance test.|
|Course Fee||INR 30,000 to INR 8,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 - INR 4,50,000|
|Job Positions||IT Analyst, Software Developer, System Engineer, Programmer|
|Top Recruiting Areas||IT sectors, Banks, Hospitals, and Educational Institutes.|
Do I qualify for BTech IT eligibility criteria?
The BTech IT aspirants need to fulfill certain eligibility criteria provided below to apply for this course:
- The candidates need to complete their 10+2 or equivalent exam from a recognized board with a minimum of 50% marks.
- They must have studied Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry as their main subjects in 10+2.
- The students must clear the cut-off of the entrance test.
- Candidates seeking admission to BTech. IT course through Lateral Entry will have to complete their 3 years diploma course from a recognized board.
What is the BTech IT Admission Process?
- Most of the colleges and universities follow Entrance Exams and Personal Interviews for final selection.
- Few colleges admit students based on their performance in 10+2.
- Some colleges also offer lateral entry to the BTech IT course.
- The application forms for the entrance tests are released mostly in December/ January.
- After the declaration of the result of the entrance exam, the admission authority conducts counseling sessions where students are allotted colleges based on their rank in the entrance test.
The step-by-step procedure to apply to BTech. IT course direct admission is given below:
- Step 1: Students have to fill the application form through an online process according to their eligibility.
- Step 2: Cutoff list will be given on the official website of the college.
- Step 3: Students will be called for a Personal Interview Round where any subject related questions will also be asked.
- Step 4: Shortlisted candidates will be offered admission to the course.
Entrance Exam Based Admission
The step-by-step process for entrance-based admission is as follows.
- Step 1: The application forms for the entrance tests will have to be filled up online. Only the eligible candidates can fill the application form.
- Step 2: The candidates will have to sit for the entrance test. Their performance in the entrance test will determine which college they get admitted to.
- Step 3: The counseling round takes place after the declaration of the result of the entrance test. Here, the students will be allotted colleges on the basis of their ranks.
- Step 4: Once the counseling process is over, the students can take admission to the allotted college and they will be ready to begin their classes at that particular institution.
One can Check Here the full list of BTech Entrance Exams in India.
What are the top BTech Food Technology entrance exams?
BTech IT students are mostly accepted on the basis of their results in engineering entrance tests. The exam forms for the entrance tests are released mostly in December. However, the present situation of the country is such that all entrance exams for the current year have been postponed owing to the COVID-19 crisis.
Here, we have listed a few of the top BTech IT entrance exams of India.
- JEE Main: The JEE Main exam was previously conducted once a year but from now onwards, it is being conducted twice a year. The exam is held mostly in the month of January and April.
- JEE Advanced: The JEE Advanced exam is held for the admission to the top IITs, CFTIs and NITs of India. Only the students who clear the JEE Main exam are allowed to sit for the JEE Advanced exam.
- BITSAT: BITSAT is the admission test for the various courses offered by Birla Institute of Technology and Science. The application form for the exam is usually released in the month of January.
- VITEEE: The students of Vellore Institute of Technology are accepted on the basis of their VITEEE rank. It is a national level entrance exam which is held in the month of April.
- WBJEE: West Bengal Joint Entrance exam is a state-level entrance exam for admission to the various top engineering colleges in West Bengal. The exam is usually conducted in the month of February.
|Entrance Test||Mode of exam||Total Time||Date of Application||Date of exam|
|JEE Main 2020||Online||3 hours||July 31, 2020||September 1 - 6, 2020|
|JEE Advanced 2020||Online||3 hours||Third week of September 2020||September 27, 2020|
|BITSAT||Online||3 hours||May 11, 2020||Postponed|
|VITEEE 2021||Online||3 hours||January 2021||April 2021|
|WBJEE 2021||Offline||3 hours||October 2020||February 2021|
What is the BTech IT Syllabus?
BTech IT is a 4 years course which runs across 8 semesters. The course has a number of compulsory subjects and a few elective subjects. Here, we have given the detailed syllabus of the BTech IT course:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|The Dimension of Information Technology||General Engineering (Workshop & Engg. Graphics)|
|Engineering Mathematics I||Engineering Mathematics II|
|Basics of Electronics||Computer Languages|
|Engineering Physics||Computer Organization|
|Communication Skills||Application of MS-Windows|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Visual Basic||Computer Communication Network|
|Electrical Measurement and Measuring Instruments||Computer Oriented Numerical Methods|
|Data Structures through C||Introduction to Web Technology|
|Digital Electronics||Object-Oriented Programming (C++)|
|Operating Systems||Business Applications of IT|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Concepts of Database||Software Project Management|
|Management of Information Systems||Applications of Microprocessor|
|Principles of Management||E-Commerce|
|Introduction to Microprocessor||Project I|
|Semester 7||Semester 8|
|Computer Graphics and Simulation||Data Mining and Data Warehousing|
|Programming Tools and Techniques||Distributed Databases|
|Compiler Design||Network Security and Cryptography|
|Visual C++||Project II|
Important Books for BTech IT course
There are a certain number of books that you need to study if you wish to perform well in a BTech IT course. Some of the most important books have been mentioned below:
|Fundamentals of Software Engineering||Rajib Mall|
|Digital Integrated Electronics||H. Taub and D. Schilling|
|Advances in Information Technology and Industry Applications||Dehuai Zeng|
What are the BTech IT top colleges?
BTech IT is taught at a number of top-notch colleges in India. Here, we have mentioned some of the most popular BTech IT Colleges of India.
|NIRF Rank 2020||College Name||City||Average First-Year Fee||Average Annual Salary|
|13||National Institute of Technology||Surathkal||INR 6,00,000||INR 7,73,000|
|14||College of Engineering, Anna University||Chennai||INR 2,00,000||INR 5,70,000|
|15||Vellore Institute of Technology||Vellore||INR 7,92,000||INR 4,16,000|
|16||National Institute of Technology||Rourkela||INR 7,12,000||INR 7,50,000|
|17||Jadavpur University||West Bengal||INR 9,600||INR 19,96,000|
|21||Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur||West Bengal||INR 2,80,000||INR 20,00,000|
|32||Amity University||Noida||INR 12,44,000||INR 3,50,000|
|36||Delhi Technical University||New Delhi||INR 6,64,000||INR 6,50,000|
|40||National Institute of Technology||Kurukshetra||INR 28,000||INR 11,75,000|
|44||SSN College of Engineering||Chennai||INR 2,00,000||INR 5,71,000|
View more Top BTech IT Colleges
What after BTech IT?
A lot of job options are presented to the BTech IT students. They may seek jobs in the numerous IT sectors of the country. These companies provide an excellent platform for the students to nurture their skills.
- Various government jobs are also available. They may also teach at schools and colleges.
- BTech IT students can also go for an academic career. Most BTech IT, students, either go for an M.Tech or an MBA.
- Some of the popular job positions for BTech IT students are Software Developer, Testing Engineer, IT Coordinator, System Analyst, System Analyst, IT Technical Content Developer, etc.
Here are some of the jobs offered to BTech IT candidates.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Software Developer||A Software Developer develops software for clients. He/ She is responsible for undertaking all the stages of software development.||INR 2,50,000|
|Testing Engineer||A Testing Engineer generally tests the software before it is delivered to the client.||INR 3,20,000|
|IT Coordinator||An IT Coordinator mainly works on PRPC-based applications||INR 2,40,000|
|System Analyst||The responsibility of a System Analyst is to design and implement various computer systems.||INR 3,50,000|
|Applications Developer||An Applications Developer designs, developers, implements and maintains various applications.||INR 3,20,000|
|IT Technical Content Developer||An IT Technical Content Developer develops technical content for websites.||INR 3,80,000|
Read More about BTech IT Jobs and Scope
With the massive growth in the IT industries over the last few years, IT professionals have a very bright future. They have numerous ways to build their career in this field.
- BTech IT students may take up jobs in various IT sectors of the country. Some of the other fields which offer jobs to the BTech IT students are banks, hospitals, and government organizations.
- The candidates may open their own ventures. This is another major career option for BTech IT students. Numerous startups have bloomed over the past few years. Some of these startups have gained so much popularity that they have become world-famous.
- The BTech IT students may also opt for an academic career. They may either pursue an M.Tech IT or go for an MBA or Master of Computer Applications. Various course options are also available to them like a post-graduate diploma.
- Some of the most popular job profiles for the BTech IT Engineers are Software Engineer, Web Developer, Application Developer, Network Engineer, etc.
What is the difference: BTech IT Vs BSc IT?
The BTech IT course is quite similar to the BTech CSE course. So, here we have drawn a comparison between the two courses showing how these courses are different from one another:
|Parameters||BTech in Information Technology||BTech in Computer Science and Engineering|
|Course Overview||BTech IT mostly deals with the application part of computer science. It puts more emphasis on software than on hardware.||BTech CSE course gives equal importance to the hardware and the software components of a computer.|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% marks in 10+2.||Minimum 55% marks in 10+2|
|Admission Process||Direct admission or entrance test||Direct admission or entrance test.|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 30,000 to INR 8,00,000||INR 2,00,000- INR 10,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,50,000||INR 3,50,000|
|Colleges||BITS Hyderabad, Anna University, Jadavpur University, NIT Rourkela||IIT Kanpur, IIT Delhi, BITS Hyderabad, Chandigarh University|
|Recruitment||IT industries, banks, hospitals, government sectors||IT industries, educational institutes, government sectors.|
|Top Job Profiles||Junior Engineer, IT Analyst, System Engineer, Junior Analyst, etc.||Software Engineer, Hardware Engineer, Network Engineer, Application Developer, etc.|
Source: Official Surveys
One can pursue the course based on several parameters that are discussed above. Course persuasion depends upon the candidate’s choice. Whatever they feel comfortable and best fit for them, they can go for that particular course.
BTech Food Technology: FAQs
Ques. What should I do after Btech in Information Technology?
Ans. You can either look for jobs or go for higher studies. You can also open your own startup.
Ques. What is the scope after BTech in Information Technology?
Ans. IT is a thriving profession for the students of India. The IT sectors offer thousands of jobs to the BTech IT students every year. The students may also go for an M.Tech or an MBA on completion of this course.
Ques. Which branch is better: CSE or IT?
Ans. Both the branches are almost similar. However, IT deals with the software components of a computer but CSE deals with both software as well as hardware components.
Ques. What are the common job profiles for the BTech IT students?
Ans. The common job profiles for BTech. IT Students are Junior Engineer, Network Engineer, Software Developer, Testing Engineer, App Developer, etc.
Ques. Which branch is better, CSE or IT, in terms of placements?
Ans. Both the branches offer almost similar placement opportunities to the candidates.
Ques. Which is the most popular entrance test for the BTech IT candidates?
Ans.The most popular entrance test is JEE Main which is a national level exam.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for a BTech IT Course?
Ans. You need to have a minimum of 50% marks in 10+2. You must also have PCM as your main subjects.
Ques. What are the best colleges or universities in India for a BTech IT course?
Ans. Some of the best colleges/ universities are:
- College of Engineering, Anna University, Chennai
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- Jadavpur University, West Bengal
Ques. What is the average tuition fee for the BTech IT students?
Ans. The average tuition fee is between INR 30,000 to INR 8,00,000.
Ques. What is the average CTC for the BTech IT students?
Ans. The average CTC is around INR 3,50,000
Ques. Can I sit for both the JEE Main exams?
Ans. Yes, a candidate is allowed to appear for both sessions of JEE Main.
Ques. When is the JEE Main exam going to be held in 2020?
Ans. The JEE Main exam was scheduled to be held in July 2020 but because of this COVID-19 crisis the exam has been postponed.