CAT Eligibility Criteria 2020- Age Limit, Qualification, Marks
CAT 2020 Eligibility is decided by IIM Indore the conducting body, details of which have been released in the official notification. As per the necessary criteria, candidates who have completed graduation degree with a minimum of 50% marks can Register for CAT 2020. A relaxation of 5% marks is awarded to candidates belonging to SC/ST/PWD categories. There is no restriction on age or number of attempts for CAT. Candidates of foreign origin fulfilling CAT Eligibility Criteria can also apply for the exam.
- CAT 2020 is scheduled to take place on November 29, 2020. Check Details Here
- Candidates having done their graduation in old system (If UGC recognises the degree) can appear for the exam.
- Degree awarded to candidates by institutes must be recognised by an act of Parliament or under section 3 of UGC Act, 1965 or recognised by MHRD.
- Candidates appearing in their final year of graduation can also apply for theexam provided they produce their passing certificates on or before June 2021.
CAT Academic Qualification
CAT 2020 Eligibility: Academic Qualification
- Candidate should have completed his/her Bachelor’s degree program in any stream from a recognized university or have an equivalent qualification which is recognized by the Ministry of HRD, India.
- For general and NC-OBC category candidates, the minimum percentage required in the bachelor’s degree is 50%.
- Candidates from the reserved categories must attain a minimum aggregate percentage of 45% in the bachelor's program.
- For candidates who are awarded grades or CGPA, the conversion of grades or CGPA will be according to the process certified by the university/ institute.
- Candidates in the final year of the program or awaiting their results can also apply.
Note: In such cases, a candidate will have to submit a certificate issued by Principal/Registrar of the College/Institution latest by June 30, 202. The certificate should state that the candidate has completed the requirements of the course.
The academic qualification details of CAT Eligibility are tabulated below:
|Engineering Degree – B. Tech/ B.E.||Recognized by MHRD/ UPSC/AICTE||50% (45% for SC, ST, PWD candidates)|
|Bachelor’s Degree from any University||Recognized by UGC||50% (45% for SC, ST, PWD candidates)|
|Students who are pursuing the final year of their Bachelor’s degree can also take the examination.||Continuing graduation from University Recognized by MHRD/ UPSC/AICTE or UGC||50% (45% for SC, ST, PWD candidates)|
Degrees Accepted in CAT
Must Read News
CAT 2020 Eligibility: Marks Calculation
As respective Institute or university from which candidates have passed their graduation follow their own practice to calculate aggregate marks, percentage calculation in CAT will be based on that.
Note 1: A recognized university is one that is constituted by an Act of the Central or State Legislature. It also includes any university or institute which is established by an act of Parliament or is declared as deemed to be University under Section 3 of the UGC Act of 1956.
Note 2: In case of Universities which award grades or CGPA, but do not have a procedure for conversion of grades to the percentage, the equivalent percentage will be calculated by the given process:
(Candidate’s CGPA/Maximum CGPA) X 100 = Equivalent Percentage
Also Read CAT 2020 Participating Institutes
Degrees Accepted in CAT 2020
There are certain degrees that are considered equivalent to a bachelor's degree. Candidates who possess or are pursuing any of these degrees are also eligible to appear for CAT 2020. The equivalent qualifications valid for appearing in CAT are listed below:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Technology of 4-years duration completed after 10+2 or Post B.Sc. or Post Diploma.
- A degree equivalent to a bachelor's degree in Engineering and Technology of Professional Societies recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE such as AMIE by Institution of Engineers, India or AMICE by Institute of Civil Engineers of India.
- Qualification is equivalent to bachelor’s degree recognized by Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi.
- Candidates with CA/CS/ICWA degree (Gen: 50% & SC/ST/ PWD: 45%) can also apply.
- A candidate with any other qualification not listed here can also apply, but they will have to produce an equivalency certificate issued by the Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi.
Eligibility for Final Year Students
Q&A on CAT
Ques: In the case of Grades or GPA are not available, how will be the calculation of minimum marks for the eligibility criteria?
Ans: If in case the Grading system or GPA score is not available for a particular college or university, the conversion of the percentage of marks will be done as per the procedure prescribed by the respective university or college.
CAT Eligibility for Final Year Students
- The eligibility criteria for CAT is a graduation, although final year students of various bachelor's degree courses can also take the test.
- However, a candidate will be admitted into a course only if he clears graduation with at least 50% marks.
- IIMs and other management institutes verify CAT eligibility at various stages of the selection process.
After taking CAT 2020, shortlisted candidates must follow the following instructions-
- They must show an original certificate from the Principal/Head of the Department/Registrar/Director of the University/Institution certifying that they have obtained 50% marks or equivalent (45% in case of reserved category) based on latest available grades/marks.
- They must also submit a set of photocopy of the original certificates at the time of the interview.
For the PGP in IIMs, selected candidates will be allowed to join the program provisionally only if they submit a certificate, stating-
- They have completed all the requirements (the results may, however, be awaited) for obtaining the bachelor’s degree/ equivalent qualification on the date of issue of the certificate.
- Their admission will be confirmed only when they submit the original mark sheet and degree certificate of having passed the bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification referred to in the certificate issued by the Principal/Registrar of their college/institute.
- They must obtain at least 50% marks or equivalent. They must submit a photocopy of the mark sheets and degree certificate.
- Non-fulfillment of this condition will automatically result in the cancellation of the provisional admission.
- IIMs would not allow any candidate to join their program in case the candidate is unable to complete all the requirements for a bachelor degree.
- During CAT 2020 Registration, the entered data is treated as final, and no change is permitted at a later stage. Any variation in data provided at the selection stage with the actual data will lead to the nullification of candidature.
- Candidates must declare and maintain the following throughout the selection process:
- Valid and unique Email ID and a phone number
- CAT User ID (provided to you via email after completion of your online registration)
Check CAT 2020 Exam Centers
CAT vs IIM Eligibility
CAT Eligibility vs IIM Eligibility: What is the Difference?
There are certain differences between eligibility norms of IIMs and CAT eligibility and candidates due to appear for the exam must be aware of those differences.
There is no age limit defined in eligibility norms of IIMs or CAT. Though 2 Years Bachelors degree is not accepted by IIMs though acceptable to appear for CAT as per the old educational system. Apart from this there are no peculiar differences unless defined by IIMs in particular. As in work experience is preferential in IIMs along with diverity of academic and co-curricular activities whichare not mandatory to appear for CAT.
Who isn’t eligible for CAT?
The following aspirants are not eligible to sit for CAT 2020:
- If the score of the candidate is less than 50% in graduation (45% for SC/ST/PwD candidates), he or she is not eligible to apply for CAT.
- The candidates pursuing both their bachelor's degree and professional degree but have yet to complete both of them.
- The candidate will be considered ineligible to appear for the exam if his/her graduation is not recognized by the UGC/AICTE/MHRD.
Work Experience Requirement
- It is not mandatory for candidates to hold any prior work experience.
- Although CAT Application Form does ask for it, it is not a necessary condition to fulfill.
- It must be noted that at the time of final selection, this work experience may be given some weightage by the IIMs. However, the exact weightage is never revealed and it varies from one IIM to another.
- The bottom line is that work experience does not come into play till the last stage of final selection, and even then it does not play a deciding factor.
- IIMs have been known to have a mixed batch comprising of both fresh graduates and students with work experience.
CAT Reservation Criteria
CAT Reservation Criteria 2020
- IIMs follow the reservation guideline of the central government for admission to their MBA programs.
- Consequently, the reservation norms are also applicable to CAT 2020.
- There are two types of reservations of seats at IIMs – Caste based reservation and Reservation for Differently abled individuals.
- Following the 124th Amendment Bill in the Constitution of India, IIMs have also introduced the EWS quota this year.
- Persons who are not covered under the scheme of reservation for SCs, STs, and OBCs and whose family has a gross annual income below Rs 8 lakh are only identified as EWS for benefit of reservation. Read EWS Quota CAT 2020 Details
Caste Based Reservation Policy
The candidates falling in the SC, ST, or NC-OBC category falls under the aegis of Caste-based reservation policy. The rules which apply to these categories are as follows:
- Candidates who belong to the SC or ST categories must have scored an aggregate of 45% in their Bachelor’s degree program.
- Candidates who belong to the NC-OBC category must have scored an aggregate of 50% in their Bachelor’s degree program.
The distribution of seat reservation based on caste is given below:
|Category||Percent of seats reserved|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|Other Backwards Classes – Non-Creamy Layer (NC-OBC)||27%|
Check CAT Reservation Criteria
Essential Documents for Caste Based Reservation
- Candidates who apply under the caste-based reservation must upload their SC/ST/NC-OBC certificate while filling the online application form.
- They will also need to produce the original certificate at the time of interview and admission.
- The format for caste certificate is available on the CAT official website.
- The benefit of reservation under EWS can be availed upon production of an Income and Asset Certificate issued by a Competent Authority.
Reservation Policy for Differently Abled Candidates
There is a separate reservation policy for differently abled candidates. The criteria for differently abled candidates are defined as below:
- Hearing impairment
- Low Vision blindness
- Locomotor Disability/Cerebral Palsy
This reservation is, however, applicable only for those candidates who suffer from the said disabilities at least to the extent of 40% or more. These candidates must possess a medical certificate stating the same, issued by an authorized medical authority.
Reservation Norms for Differently Abled Candidates for CAT 2020
- There is a reservation of 3% seats for differently abled candidates in IIMs.
- Differently abled candidates need to have 45% marks in their graduate degree.
- Differently abled candidates will be provided with a wheelchair (blind candidates or those affected with a locomotor disability) at the exam center if selected during CAT Registration.
- Differently abled candidates in the low vision category can bring a scribe with them. There are no eligibility criteria set for scribes.
CAT 2020: Essential Certificates
Those applying under the Differently Abled category must upload a PwD/DA certificate at the time of applying. They also need to produce the original certificate at the time of interview in the desired format:
- Download NC-OBC Certificate
- Download SC-ST Certificate
- Download DA/PwD Certificate
- Download Format for Final Year Certificate
- DownloadFormat for Candidate Identification Affidavit
Frequently Asked Questions
CAT 2020 Eligibility FAQs
Ques. I am yet to complete my Bachelor’s Degree/in the final year of Bachelor’s degree. What marks should I enter in my CAT Application form?
Ans. The Aggregate Percentage up to the last marks statement received from the University must be provided in the CAT application form.
Ques. I am not pursuing or completed my Bachelor’s degree or any Professional degree. Can I appear for CAT 2020?
Ans. As per CAT 2020 eligibility criteria, you are not eligible to appear for CAT 2020.
Ques. Can I appear for CAT for practice purpose, even though I am not eligible for the exam?
Ans. No. You must fulfill the eligibility requirements to appear for CAT.
Ques. I am a General category candidate with 49% in the Bachelor’s and 51%, for my Master’s degree. Am I eligible to apply for CAT 2020?
Ans. No. you should have 50% or more in your graduation.
Ques. I have completed my Bachelor’s degree in May-June 2020 but have a backlog. Am I eligible to apply for CAT 2020?
Ans. Yes, candidates who complete their degree by May 2020 are eligible to appear for CAT.
Ques. Where are the notifications related to CAT 2020 Eligibility Announced?
Ans. All the updated information and Notifications related to CAT 2020 Eligibility are announced on the official website of CAT.
Ques. What are the Academic Qualifications required for CAT 2020?
Ans. Candidate must possess a Bachelors degree having a minimum of 50% marks or has an equivalent GPA.
Ques. What are the relaxations related to Academic Qualification of a candidate willing to appear for CAT 2020 and belongs to the reserved category?
Ans. Candidates who belong to the reserved category are given a relaxation of 5%, i.e., candidates who belong to the reserved category must have 45% of their bachelor’s degree.
Ques. What if a particular university or Institute does not have a Grade calculating procedure?
Ans. Candidates whose University or Institutes who do not have any grade calculating procedure will be required to divide the candidate’s marks with the maximum marks and then multiply it by 100.
Ques. What are the ‘Specified Disabilities’ required for PWD candidates to give CAT 2020?
Ans. The categories of disability are:
- In the case of blindness and low vision
- deafness or if a candidate is hard of hearing
- locomotor disability including cerebral palsy, leprosy cured, dwarfism, acid attack victims, and muscular dystrophy,
- Autism, intellectual disability, specific learning disability, and mental illness.
- Multiple disabilities from amongst persons.
Ques. If a candidate has not completed his Bachelor’s degree or another professional degree, is he allowed to appear for CAT 2020?
Ans. No, a candidate who has not completed his bachelor’s professional course is ineligible to sit for the exam.
Ques. What if a candidate scores 49% of the Bachelor’s degree. Will they be allowed to appear for the exam?
Ans. No, the candidate is required to have a minimum of 50% in their Bachelors to appear in the test.
Ques. A candidate who has completed his/her bachelors in 2020 Eligible to sit for the examination?
Ans. Yes, candidates can sit for the exam even if they complete their bachelors in the same year of appearing for the examination.
Ques. Under which category can a candidate apply for CAT 2020?
Ans. Candidates can apply in the following categories:
- Scheduled Caste (SC)
- Scheduled Tribe (ST)
- Non-Creamy Other Backward Class (NC-OBC)
- EWS category
Ques. Is it possible for a candidate to appear for 2 slots in the CAT exam?
Ans. No, a candidate cannot appear for more than one slot to give the exam.
Ques. What is the helpline number for the Helpdesk?
Ans. Candidates can contact the exam authorities through- Toll-free number – 18002663549 Email – email@example.com
Ques. What are the Eligibilities of a Reader/Scribe?
Ans. There are no particular eligibility criteria that a candidate is appearing as a reader needs to follow. However, candidates appearing as readers are required to carry a passport size photograph, ID proof and must sign a declaration of their educational qualification.
Ques. From where can candidates obtain the form for a scribe or reader?
Ans. There is no separate form for the reader. Candidate must mention himself as scribe or reader while filling the CAT 2020 Application Form.
Ques. Where can a candidate submit his documents for verification?
Ans. Candidates must upload all the required documents online while filling the application form of CAT 2020.
Readers can clear their doubts through the comments section.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College