CAT 2019 Counselling: Dates, Procedure, Selection, Seat Allotment
CAT Counselling 2019 will not be a centralized process. IIMs do not conduct CAT counselling or allot colleges to the candidates. Candidates are selected based on the CAT Result, academic background, work experience, etc. for the pre-admission rounds.
- The national level management exam will be held on November 24 in online mode.
- CAT Result is expected to release in the second week of January 2019.
- IIMs send personalized call letters to the qualifying candidates. 10 out of 19 IIMs have their selection procedure. Check CAT Cutoff
- It includes Written Ability Test (WAT) and /or Group Discussions, and Personal Interview. IIM Rohtak conducts the selection process of 9 newest IIMs. Check Other CAT Colleges
- This year, nearly 4000 seats in IIMs will be filled through CAT 2019.
- CAT score is also used non-IIM institutes like FMS, SPJIM, MDI Gurgaon, etc. for selecting candidates. Read on to know more about the counselling procedure of the Common Admission Test, who will conduct CAT 2019 counselling, schedule, seat matrix, etc.
Check CAT Cutoff for Non-IIMs
CAT 2019 Counselling Date(s)
CAT Counselling begins from the third week of January 2019. Given below are the important dates related to CAT Selection Procedure 2019:
|Release of CAT 2019 Result||The second week of January 2019|
|Commencement of CAT Counselling||The second week of January 2019|
|CAT Option Entry Dates||The third week of January 2019|
|Classes begin from||June 2019|
Check all CAT 2019 Important Dates
CAT Counselling Procedure 2019
Candidates are assigned a venue where the counselling sessions will be held. The venue will be alloted on the call letter sent on mail. Candidates have to report to the allotted center in person, with all the required documents. Given below are the steps for CAT Counselling:
Step 1: Receival of Call Letter
- Selected candidates will receive call letters on their registered CAT email ID.
- The call letter contains the following information-
- Registration link
- Last date to complete the registration
- Date of WAT/GD and PI
- Venue of WAT/GD and PI
- Slot of WAT/GD and PI
Step 2: Report to Venue and Verify Documents
- Report at the allocated venue on the date mentioned in the call letter.
- Reach the helpline center with the original and photocopies of the required documents.
Documents to be Carried:
Given below are the documents required at the time of CAT Counselling:
- Class X mark sheet and Passing certificate
- Class XII mark sheet and Passing certificate
- Graduation degree certificates
- Reservation category certificates (if applicable)
- Interview Letters
- CAT Rank Card
Step 3: Lock Choice
- After the verification process, visit the official website of the college.
- Fill the form to register.
- Select and lock your choice before submission.
- You receive an intimation via SMS or email.
- After confirmation of the seat, visit the allocated institution and submit the seat allotment order.
CAT Selection Procedure 2019
- This is the second stage of the CAT selection process, after the declaration of the cutoff.
- Colleges invite candidates upon their performance in the admission test, academic performance, and relevant work experience.
- Written Ability Test (WAT), Group Discussion (GD), and Personal Interview (PI) are conducted form the main selection rounds.
- Candidates who qualify all these stages get admission in the mentioned course.
Written Ability Test
- Most of the IIMs have preferred Written Ability Test (WAT) on Group Discussion (GD) over the last few years.
- It has been analyzed that 11 out of the 19 IIMs have removed the Group Discussion round from their selection process.
- Although, a few IIMs like IIM Lucknow and IIM Kozhikode still conduct both WAT and GD for selection of candidates.
How is WAT Conducted?
- Written Ability Test is designed to test a candidate’s critical thinking ability and their ability to formulate and communicate their thoughts. Given below is the pattern of WAT:
- In WAT, the candidate has to write an essay on a given topic.
- The time given to complete the test varies for different IIMs.
- For instance, as per the records of the last year admissions, candidates were given 30 minutes to complete the essay. While at IIM Lucknow, candidates were allotted 15 minutes to think and write the essay.
- Proper practice of essay writing is the key to score well in WAT.
- The structure is a consideration, but the candidate must focus on time management too.
- A candidate must try to put in as many clear ideas in their essay as possible.
Read CAT GD/WAT and PI Experiences
Important Topics in WAT
The topics for essay writing can be from a variety of domains such as current affairs, government policies, topics of social importance, trade and commerce, etc. Some example of WAT topics can be:
- Media Influence
- Corruption in India
- Women’s Reservation Bill
- Should Petroleum Subsidy go away?
Group Discussion (GD)
- Candidates are generally divided into groups of 8-10 during a GD.
- The students are asked to put forward their views on a given topic.
- This round assesses the ability of a candidate to communicate their idea clearly to a group.
- It also helps to shortlist candidates who can understand group dynamics and are good team players.
- The topics for group discussion, again, can be varied for different IIMs and the discussion time too.
Important Topics for GD
The topics may range from National and International Politics, Current Affairs, topics of social importance, Government policies, etc. Some example of topics for Group Discussion are as follows:
- Atheism: Advantages and Disadvantages
- Donald Trump as the Next US President – the good and the bad
- Cricket vs. Football
- Excise Tax on Jewellers – Reasonable or Unreasonable
Read Tips to Ace Group Discussion in IIMs
Personal Interview (PI)
- This round in CAT Selection Procedure outrages you from the mainstream crowd. This round is a mandatory round at all IIMs and termed as the most crucial.
- The PI usually holds a weightage of 30-40% in the entire process
- Candidates have to face a panel of 2-4 interviewers generally.
- The key to success in the interview is- Be witty, funny, and confident at the same time.
- To excel in this final frontier, candidates should be aware of the types of questions that are frequently asked in a personal interview.
- The questions asked in an IIM interview range from questions about Personal life, Academic Record, Extra-curricular activities, work experience, outlook on contemporary issues, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions in PI
Given below are few expected or commonly asked questions in the PI round of CAT 2019:
- Tell us something about yourself.
- How did you choose MBA as your career? Why?
- Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
- Tell us the reasons to select you.
- Do you have any regrets? (Academic related, life-related, etc.)
- Past- related Questions.
- Why do you choose to join IIM (city)?
- Discuss your strengths/weaknesses.
- Questions from your GD.
- Do you have any questions from us?
What is IIM Selection Procedure?
- Each IIM will publish their IIM Cut off 2019.
- These cutoffs will serve as a parameter for shortlisting candidates for admission in management courses in the IIMs.
- There are multiple factors which affect the selection of candidates in their desired IIMs.
- The panel considers many aspects such as Academic Qualification, Work Experience, Extra-curricular activities, etc. for admitting candidates to the IIM.
The weightage for each component, including CAT score for shortlisting of candidates is given below:
|Aggregate CAT Score||38|
|SSC (12th) Marks||2|
|Diversity Factor: Gender||2|
|Diversity Factor: Academic Discipline||3|
Check IIM CAT Cutoffs
CAT Reservation Criteria 2019
A certain percentage of seats in IIMs are reserved for SC, ST, OBC and PWD candidates. The table given below provides an overview of the same:
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5|
|Non-Creamy – Other Backward Classes (NC-OBC)||27|
|People with Disability (PWD)||3|
|Total Percentage of Reserved Seats||52.5|
Check Here CAT Reservation Criteria 2019
CAT Seat Intake
There are 19 IIMs across India which offer admission to different specializations of MBA. Here is the total seat intake of various IIMs is given below:
|College||Number of Seats||College||Number of Seats|
|IIM Ahmedabad||385||IIM Bangalore||382|
|IIM Calcutta||462||IIM Lucknow||419|
|IIM Indore||450||IIM Kozhikode||375|
|IIM Shillong||120||IIM Ranchi||120|
|IIM Rohtak||120||IIM Raipur||120|
|IIM Trichy||102||IIM Udaipur||120|
|IIM Kashipur||90||IIM Nagpur||60|
|IIM Vishakhapatnam||60||IIM Sambalpur||140|
|IIM Bodh Gaya||60||IIM Jammu||45|
|IIM Sirmaur||60||IIM Amritsar||60|
- While the IIM MBA course design is different for each institute, the guidelines for IIM selection criteria and admission procedures are the same for all.
- The admission criteria for foreign nationals will be a valid GMAT Score.
Check CAT Participating Institutes with Fee
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College