As per NEET 2021 Reservation Policy, GEN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC, ST, PwD candidates can avail 10%, 27%, 15%, 7.5%, and 5% reservation benefits respectively during the time of admission. For admission in State Medical Colleges/Universities/ Institutions for seats other than 15% All India Quota, the reservation policy of the concerned state government shall apply. Check NEET Application 2021
NEET Reservation is applicable during the time of counselling process. To take the benefits of NEET reservation candidates will have to submit the required certificates as a proof.
NEET Latest Updates:
- April 26: TN Government has approved the proposal of 7.5% reservation for government school students in TN state Medical colleges after qualifying NEET.
- April 24: Spouses and children of terror attack victims will also get a reservation in MBBS and BDS admissions. These seats are reserved under the central pool of seats for medical admissions. Read More
- April 22: Government Reserves 5 MBBS Seats Under Central Pool for Children of COVID-19 warriors. The 5 colleges to offer seats are MGIMS Wardha, LHMC, NSCBMC Jabalpur, JLN Medical College Ajmer, GMC Haldwani.
However, candidates from Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh are not eligible for 15% All India Quota seats as these Union Territories opted to stay out of All India Scheme. To claim eligibility, candidates from these Union Territories must sign a self-declaration form while filling the application form for NEET 2021. Read the article below to know more about the All India Quota Seats, State Quota Seats and much more.
NEET 2021 Reservation Highlights
As per the reservation criteria, in the Central Universities and institutions, seats will be reserved for GEN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD candidates. The percentage of seats reserved for different categories is as follows:
|General Economically Weaker Section (GEN – EWS)||10%|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|Other Backward Caste (OBC-NCL)||27%|
|Persons with Disabilities (PwD)||5%|
Documents Required to Claim NEET Reservation
All the candidates claiming reservation of seats under various reserved categories should produce the relevant documents stipulated by NTA to validate their claim for seat reservation failing which, they may be debarred from counselling and seat allotment process.
The nodal authorities for issuing these documents is also clearly indicated in the certificate formats published in NEET Information Bulletin.
|PwD (Locomotor Disability)||Duly Constituted Medical Board at Selected Central Government Hospitals|
|OBC-NCL||District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/Collector Deputy Commissioner/ Additional Deputy Commissioner / 1st Class Stipendary Magistrate/ Sub Divisional Magistrate/ Taluka Magistrate/Executive Magistrate/Extra Assistant Commissioner |
Chief Presidency Magistrate/Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate, Revenue Officer (not below rank of Tehsildar), Sub-divisional Officer
|SC/ST||District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/Collector Deputy Commissioner/ Additional Deputy Commissioner / 1st Class Stipendary Magistrate/ Sub Divisional Magistrate/ Taluka Magistrate/Executive Magistrate/Extra Assistant Commissioner |
Chief Presidency Magistrate/Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate, Revenue Officer (not below rank of Tehsildar), Sub-divisional Officer
NEET 2021 Reservation Policy for PwD
Students who will fall under the PwD category will be offered 5% reservation while getting the admission to the medical colleges. Candidates will also have to fulfill the rules or conditions set by the authority to avail the benefits of reservation.
- Minimum degree of disability should 40% or more to avail Pwd quota.
- The degree of disability should be checked or assessed as per the guidelines set by the Govt.
- Must hold a “Certificate of Disability”.
- Disability certificate should be made from the 12 designated centers by NTA.
How to get a Disability Certificate?
|Disability Centre Designated by MCC||Disabilities for which the designated Disability Centre is capable of issuing Certificate|
|Vardhman Mahavir Medical College & Safdarjang Hospital, New Delhi||All 21 disabilities as per MCI Guidelines except Ophthalmology Tests|
|All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (for Locomotor Disability only), Mumbai||Only for Locomotor Disabilities|
|Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research, Kolkata||All 21 disabilities as per MCI Guidelines|
|Madras Medical College, Chennai|
|Grant Government Medical College, J.J. Hospital Compound, Mumbai|
|Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala|
|Govt. Medical College and Hospital, Sector32, Chandigarh|
|Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh|
|SMS Medical College, Jaipur||All 21 disabilities except Neurology, ENT, Orthopaedics|
|AIIMS, Nagpur, Maharashtra||Locomotor Disability, Visual Impairment, Speech and Language Disabilities, Disabilities due to blood disorders|
|Goa Medical College, Goa||Response Awaited|
|Govt. Medical College, Agartala, State Disability Board, Agartala, Tripura|
Sample of Disability Certificate
NEET 2021 EWS Quota Details
As per this, 10% reservation in jobs and education shall be granted to the EWS candidates belonging to the General quota candidates. Persons who are not covered under the scheme of reservation for SCs, STs, and OBCs and whose family has a gross annual income below Rs 8 lakh are only identified as EWS for benefit of reservation. The benefit of reservation under EWS can be availed upon production of an Income and Asset Certificate issued by a Competent Authority.
- EWS reservation at all India level i.e. for 15% AIQ seats will be offered in the central universities.
- For the 85% state quota seats, respective states authority will release their own criteria to implement the EWS reservation.
Who can’t access the EWS quota?
Regardless of what the family income is, if the candidates fall under any of the following, they can’t avail the benefits of EWS quota:
- Candidates whose families own 5 acres of agricultural land and above.
- Candidates who owe a residential flat of 1,000 sq. ft. and above.
- Candidates whose parents possess a residential plot of 100 sq. yards and above in notified municipalities.
- Candidates whose parents own a residential plot of 200 sq. yards and above in areas other than the notified municipalities.
Authorities which can issue an ‘Income and Asset Certificate’
|District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/ Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/Additional’ Deputy Commissioner/ 1st Class Stipendiary Magistrate/ Sub-Divisional Magistrate/ Taluka Magistrate! Executive Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner||Chief Presidency Magistrate/Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate|
|Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar||Sub-Divisional Officer or the area where the candidate and/or his family normally resides|
Sample of EWS Certificate
NEET Reservation for State Quota Seats
- A Merit List will be released and under the state quota, 85% of the seats are filled through state counselling conducted separately by each state/Union Territory.
- Candidates must contact their respective state counselling authority to know the dates and procedure for the same.
- Candidates can check out the process and dates of NEET State-wise Counselling.
- Admission through state quota will be subject to the eligibility criteria and reservation policy applicable in the State or Union Territory where the student seeks admission.
Note: AFMC, Pune has its own reservation policy wherein there are no concessions for Physically Handicapped candidates. Those who seek admission in AFMC must check out the same on their official website. Applicants are required to register on their official website for further screening tests. They have a separate selection process and NEET is only the first step. Qualifying NEET does not ensure admission into AFMC, Pune.
NEET Reservation for AIQ Seats
For 15% All India Quota Seats, Indian Nationals, NRIs, OCI, PIO, and Foreign Nationals are eligible. To take admission via AIQ, candidates have to take part in Online Counselling for NEET conducted by MCC.
- Cousnelling rounds will be conducted and after the conclusion of all the rounds, if any seats remain vacant under AIQ, they will be converted into State Quota seats.
- Names in the merit list will be equal to the number of AIQ seats available.
- Andhra Pradesh and Telangana will now participate in 15% All India Quota Counselling and will not require the submission of a self-declaration form.
Reservation for UT of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh Candidates
- Candidates from J&K and Ladakh have opted out of the All India Scheme hence they are not eligible for 15% AIQ seats.
- However, to apply for in AIQ seats counseling candidates have to submit online self-declaration.
Demand of 27% OBC Reservation in NEET
A report has been prepared by All India Federation of Other Backward Classes. According to this report, since 2017, OBC candidates lost over 11,000 seats, in All India Quota. This is due to the non-implementation of OBC reservations in State and Union Territory Medical education institutions.
- The plea which has been filed in the Delhi High Court reads that from academic years 2017 to 19, as much as 5,530 seats were allotted to candidates belonging to a general category when it was supposed to be granted to OBC candidates.
- Various political leaders have also raised the issue of OBC candidates being denied reservations in medical colleges of States and Union Territories (UT) as they fill their All India Quota through National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET).
- However, the Supreme court has denied the plea and told petitioners that they are free to take their demand to the High Courts. Read Complete Report Here
TN Government approves 7.5% Quota to State Government Schools
As per the latest reports, 7.5% quota to government school students in the TN state Medical colleges after qualifying NEET has been approved by Tamil Nadu Cabinet. This 7.5% quota will be included within the existing reservation that means it will be a Quota within Quota. Check Details Here
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami had said that the state government will work to provide for reservation to students from the government who will clear NEET.
- The decision has been taken because in TN sate it has been seen that the number of candidates admitted to the MBBS programs from government schools is declining every year.
- However, the reservation will be provided to students who did their schooling (Classes 6 to 12) in a government school of Tamil Nadu.
- Meanwhile, the state has been trying to upgrade its state board syllabus to bring it on par with CBSE syllabus.
- The state has also taken initiative to provide free medical coaching for NEET Preparation
Quota for Children of COVID-19 warriors
- The Central Government has decided to reserve a total of five MBBS seats from the central pool for wards of COVID-19 warriors.
- Union Health Ministry has also launched a new category called Wards of COVID Warriors, under the guidelines for shortlisting candidates against central pool MBBS seats.
DGHS has notified five medical colleges across India to reserve one UG course seat under the ‘Children of COVID-19 Warriors’ category. Read More
|MGIMS Wardha||Lady Hardinge Medical College New Delhi|
|JLN Medical College Ajmer||Government Medical College Haldwani|
|Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Medical College (NSCBMC) Jabalpur||---|
Quota in NEET for Victims of Terror Attack
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has written a letter to chief secretaries of all states and UTs along with the guidelines regarding Quota in NEET for Victims of Terror Attack.
- Under this, the spouses and children of terror attack victims can get reservation after qualifying NEET in MBBS and BDS colleges.
- These seats are reserved under the central pool of seats for medical admissions.
Who is Eligible for this Quota?
- Children who are or were exposed to the risk of terrorism, or who come in the hit list of terrorist organisations, or children belonging to the family for Kashmire Migrants and have lost their livelihood etc are eligible for the central pool of MBBS and BDS seats.
- Children of families where a parent or a direct family member has been killed in an act of terrorism or an innocent victim of firing by armed forces while handling terrorism in UTs of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh are eligible for this quota.
Selection of Candidates for this Quota
- Candidates will be selected based on NEET.
- Eligible candidates need to send their scanned copies NEET Application form along with required documents at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can also send the documents via post to Rajeev Kumar, Under Secretary (CT-II), Room No 81, North Block, New Delhi – 110001.
Things to Remember
- All India Quota has no reservation for Defence quota candidates. However, some states may have a reservation under Defence quota in NEET. Candidates must contact their state counselling authority for details.
- Candidates must note that Deemed Universities conduct their own counselling.
- Management Quota is not applicable in AIQ but private universities may have a few seats reserved under that category. Contact the concerned institute for more details.
- Candidates are advised to check whether they’re eligible for reservation under All India quota and state quota seats before applying.
NEET Reservation FAQs
Ques. I belong to the unreserved category. What is the minimum qualification required of me, to apply for the exam?
Ans. Higher secondary (12 th ) or equivalent with the Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology and English subjects, and 50% marks in the qualifying exam.
Ques. What is the upper age limit for candidates appearing in NEET?
Ans. There is no upper age limit to apply for NEET. However, the candidature of general candidates above 25 years of age is subject to the orders of the Supreme Court.
Ques. What are the qualifying marks required in class 12th to appear for NEET?
Ans. The eligibility of qualifying marks in class 12 th for candidates appearing in NEET is mentioned below:
- Unreserved - 50%
- SC, ST and OBC - 40%
- PWD - 45%
Ques. I belong to the OBC category and have passed class 12th with Physics, Chemistry and Biology with 46% marks. Am I eligible for appearing in the exam?
Ans. Yes, you are eligible for NEET 2020.
Ques. Who all can avail 15% All India Quota seats?
Ans. The following residents can avail the 15% All India Quota seats in NEET Exam:
- Indian Nationals
- Non Resident Indians (NRIs)
- Oversees Citizen of India (OCIs)
- Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs)
- Foreign Nationals
Ques. I am opting Oriya as the question paper medium. Will I be eligible for 15% All India Quota?
Ans. You are eligible for All India Quota and other quotas (per the required norms) irrespective of the medium in which examination is attempted.
Ques. What is the reservation scheme of NEET?
Ans. The NEET reservation scheme is divided into three broad categories – All-India Quota, State Quota and Management.
Ques. What is meant by All-India Quota?
Ans. These are the seats in government colleges which are filled through All-India centralized counselling; it means that students from any state are eligible for these seats. 15% seats are reserved under All-India Quota. Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) conducts counselling for 15% All India Quota seats.
Ques. What is meant by State Quota?
Ans. 85% of the remaining seats, other than All-India Quota, fall under State Quota. The counselling for these seats is conducted by the respective NEET Counselling bodies of the state government.
Ques. What is the reservation criteria for seats falling under the jurisdiction of States?
Ans. It is as per State Reservation Policy. All the seats will be allotted according to the reservation policy of a particular state.
Ques. What is the reservation criterion for SC candidates under 15% All India Quota seats?
Ans. 15% seats under All India Quota are reserved for SC candidates.
Ques. What is the reservation criterion for ST candidates under 15% All India Quota seats?
Ans. 7.5% seats under All India Quota are reserved for ST candidates.
Ques. What is the reservation criterion for OBC candidates under 15% All India Quota seats?
Ans. 27% seats under All India Quota are reserved for non-creamy layer OBC candidates only in Central Educational Institutions. This reservation will only be applicable to the castes mentioned in the Central list of OBC.
Ques. What is the reservation criterion for the physically handicapped candidates under 15% All India Quota seats?
Ans. 5% seats under All India Quota are reserved for the candidates with Bench Marked Disabilities in accordance with the provisions of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016.
Ques. Is there any reservation for Creamy layer OBC candidates?
Ans. No, there is no reservation for creamy layer OBC candidates and they will be considered under Unreserved (UR) category.
Ques. Is a candidate from Andhra Pradesh and Telangana eligible for 15% All India Quota seats?
Ans. Yes, a candidate from Andhra Pradesh and Telangana is eligible for 15% All India Quota seats as both Andhra Pradesh and Telangana have decided to join and contribute to the All India Quota seats.
Ques. Is a candidate from Jammu and Kashmir eligible for 15% All India Quota seats?
Ans. No, a candidate from Jammu & Kashmir is not eligible for 15% All India (National Level Counselling) because J&K Board has opted out for NEET-UG 2018 National Level Counselling. A candidate belonging to J&K can only choose his own state MBBS/ BDS colleges.
Ques. Is there any reservation for girls in the NEET?
Ans. No, there is no separate reservation for girls in the NEET, they will be considered under normal reservation policy.
Ques. What is the reservation policy for Physically Handicapped candidates under State Quota?
Ans. The reservation for Physically Handicapped candidates under State Quota is according to the state government policies, each state has its own reservation policy for these candidates.
Ques. What is AFMC (Armed Forces Medical College) Reservation Policy?
Ans. AFMC, Pune does not take the admission of candidates on the basis of All India quota and state quota. Candidates seeking admission in AFMC have to register on official website @www.afmc.nic.in.
Students who clear NEET and wish to take admission in AFMC need to clear the screening conducted by AFMC. AFMC have a total of 130 seats.
Ques. What is the number of reserved seats for males in AFMC?
Ans. As per the norms of AFMC, 105 seats are reserved for male candidates out of 130 seats.
Ques. What is the number of reserved seats for Females in AFMC?
Ans. As per the norms of AFMC, 25 seats are reserved for Female candidates out of 130 seats.
Ques. What is the number of reserved seats for SC/ST in AFMC?
Ans. As per the norms of AFMC, 10 seats are reserved for SC/ST candidates out of 130 seats.
Ques. What is the reservation policy for Physically Handicapped candidates under AFMC?
Ans. There is no reservation of seats for Physically Handicapped candidates under AFMC.
Ques. Can a candidate from Jammu and Kashmir apply in AFMC Pune?
Ans. Yes, a candidate from Jammu and Kashmir is eligible to apply in AFMC Pune.
Ques. Is a Blind, deaf or dumb candidate eligible for any reservation under NEET reservation policy for physically handicapped candidates?
Ans. No, a Blind, deaf or dumb person is not eligible for any kind of reservation.
Ques. Is there any reservation for Defence Quota candidates under All-India Quota?
Ans. No, there is no reservation for Defence Quota candidates under All-India Quota. However, some states may have reservation under Defence quota in NEET and candidates should contact their state counselling authorities for this.
Ques. Can a candidate from Jammu and Kashmir apply for All-India counselling?
Ans. Yes, a candidate form J&K can apply for All-India counselling after submitting a self declaration form.
Ques. What is the reservation Policy for admission in Private Colleges under NEET?
Ans. The admission in Private Medical College will be held as per the reservation policies of the State/Union Territory.
Ques. Can a candidate get a seat through both the 15% all India quota and 85% state quota simultaneously?
Ans. Yes, a candidate can get a seat through both All-India and State Quota but only one can be chosen.
Ques. Is there any reservation for NCC cadets in NEET?
Ans. No, there is no separate reservation for NCC cadets in NEET.
Ques. Is there any reservation for the dependants of Ex-Defence serviceman?
Ans. No, there is no reservation for the dependants of Ex- Defence serviceman. However, there may be some policy for reservation of these candidates for admission in AFMC. All the candidates must follow the reservation policy of AFMC.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.