CSIR introduced a new research fellowship program in the year 2002 for the GATE qualified candidates with B.Tech degree to pursue research leading to Ph.D. CSIR labs offers JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) and Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) through GATE. The shortlisted candidates on the basis of GATE score will go for two year Ph.D. program. The fellowship is tenable only at CSIR lab. JRFs selected under this scheme will have excellent opportunity to work with CSIR Scientists. Candidates may be upgraded to SRF GATE for an integrated program. The amount offered varies from Rs 15,000-20,000.
The CSIR laboratory participating in the Integrated M.Tech-PhD program is as follow:
GATE 2020 Eligibility for CSIR
Candidates can check the required eligibility for Junior Research fellowship program through GATE is as follow:
- Candidate must have B.E/ B.Tech degree with valid GATE score.
- Candidates holding B.Pharm degree with valid GPAT Score
- Candidates with B.Tech in Biotechnology with valid GATE score. They subject to securing a minimum 85.00 percentile in GATE 2020.
- Candidates selected for the award of JRF will be eligible for the fellowship to getting registered for PhD program.
Note – Candidates with M.E/ M.Tech degree are not eligible to apply for JRF-GATE. All those eligible for direct CSIR-JRF are also not eligible to apply for this fellowship program.
The upper age limit for JRF is 28 years. There is a relaxation in age of 5 years for Reserved category candidates such as SC/ST/OBC/ PH. The age limit will be calculated as on July 01, 2020.
CSIR JRF-GATE Stipend and Selection Process
Selection of JRF-GATE is done by CSIR on the basis of GATE Score and personal interview.The total duration of the fellowship is 5 years within which the candidate is expected to complete Ph.D degree. No candidate will be offered fellowship under JRF- GATE scheme without approval from CSIR.
CSIR JRF Stipend and Tenure
The fellowship amount is INR- 25,000/- per month plus HRA during the PhD program. They are also given an additional amount of Rs 20,000 as a contingent grant.This includes books expenses, train fare etc. In exceptional cases where the fellow has completed MTech within one year of joining JRF GATE. The Director may assess the performance of the fellow and recommend upgradations of the fellowship to SRF-GATE. After the completion of two years as JRF-GATE, the fellowship may be upgraded to SRF-GATE and the stipend may be increased to INR- 28,000/- per month as per the guidelines.
CSIR JRF Reservation
The existing reservation guidelines for direct recruitment on all India basis by open competition should be strictly followed. Each laboratory would maintain records with regard to the reservation. Check the following table to know the category-wise vacancies as mentioned below:
|Category||No. of Vacancies|
GATE Important Instructions for CSIR
Candidates who are willing to join JRF GATE program. They can go through following important instruction about CSIR labs is as follow:
- JRF-GATE fellowship is awarded for pursuing PhD and there will be no automatic exit after M.Tech.
- The existing reservation guidelines of India govt. for direct recruitment on all India basis by open competition should strictly be followed.
- Candidates will have to produce all original certificates to the company before joining.
- JRF-GATE are not to be deployed in any sponsored project, it will be governed by terms and conditions of CSIR JRF-NET.
- CSIR reserves the right to disqualify any shortlisted candidate before the joining of the fellowship program.