IIT Bombay has closed GATE 2021 application process on October 14, 2020. GATE 2021 is scheduled to be conducted from February 5, 2020 to February 7, 2020 and February 12 to 14, 2020. Read GATE 2021 Preparation Tips
Meanwhile, IIT Bombay has re-opened the facility to change GATE 2021 exam city via GOAPS till December 15, 2020. Successfully registered candidates can make changes in their chosen GATE exam city free of cost. Edit GATE 2021 Exam centre detail
- GATE Application Fee for the general category is INR 1500 while late registration fees is INR 2000.
- Applicants have to upload their scanned passport size photo, signature, and other documents in prescribed specifications.
- The eligibility criteria to apply for the exam has been relaxed which now enables the 3rd students to apply for the exam. Read More
Candidates are advised to fill all the correct details in their application form however form correction facility will also be provided till November 13, 2020. Read on to know more about GATE Application Form, Registration, Documents Required, Important Dates, Steps to apply, Application fee, and other important details.
GATE 2021 Registration Dates
GATE 2021 Registration Dates
|Commencement of Application Process||September 11, 2020|
|Last date to fill the Application form||October 8, 2020 till 5:00 PM|
|Extended date for submitting the online application form||October 14, 2020 til 5:00 PM|
|Last Date for change of category, paper and examination city |
(an additional fee will be applicable)
|November 13, 2020|
List of Documents Required
List of Documents Required to Fill the Form
Candidates must keep the following documents handy before initiating the registration process for GATE 2021. All the supporting documents mentioned below need to be uploaded while filling the online application form.
- You have to upload the PDF file of any one of the following valid photo identity.
- Valid IDs are Aadhaar- UID, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, College ID, Employee ID, and Driving License.
- For international candidates, only a valid Passport / Government issued ID / College ID / Employee ID will be accepted as the recognized identification document.
- If you do not have any of these as your identity proof then please obtain any one of them before filling the application.
- The candidate has to produce the same original valid photo ID proof during the examination for verification purposes.
- If a candidate fails to show the original valid photo ID proof, then that candidate will not be allowed to enter the examination hall.
Category (SC/ ST) Certificate
- Candidates who belong to SC or ST category have to upload a valid documentary proof to get the concession in the application fee.
- A certificate issued by the authorized officials will be valid.
- The same document will be required during the time of admission.
- OBC-NCL and EWS candidates are not required to upload any category certificate while filling the online application form.
Person with Disability (PwD) Certificate
- Person with Disability (PwD) candidates should attach a recently obtained PwD certificate issued by the competent authority. The benefit would be given to those who have a minimum 40% impairment irrespective of the type of disability.
- The same document will be required during the time of admission.
Certificate of Dyslexia
- Dyslexic candidates should attach a proper dyslexic certificate issued by any authorized Dyslexia Association.
- The scribe will be provided by the GATE authorities.
- The same document will be required during the time of admission.
Specification of Documents to be Uploaded Online
|Particulars||Dimensions||Size and Other Specifications||Uploading of Documents|
|Passport size photograph in the white background||5 kb -200 kb|| |
3.5 cm Width × 4.5 cm Height with 60% - 70% of Face Coverage
Pixels Range from 240x320 – 480×640
|In JPEG / JPG format|
|Signature in running handwriting||5 kb-200 kb|| |
Area of signature must cover 70-80% of the image.
Pixels Range from 80×280 – 160×560
Sign with black or dark blue color ink only.
|Photo ID Proof||NA||NA||PDF Format|
|Category Certificate wherever applicable||NA||NA|
|PwD Certificate wherever applicable||NA||NA|
|Certificate of Dyslexia||NA||NA|
How to Apply for GATE 2021?
A Stepwise Guide to GATE 2021 Application Process
For the ease of aspirants, the exam authority has released a Guide for successful submission of GATE Application Form. The process of applying for GATE 2021 comprises the following steps-
- GATE Registration – Register as “New User” and proceed as mentioned in the guide. After successful registration, you will get access to GOAPS with the credentials you entered.
- Fill GATE Application Form – Login using GOAPS Enrollment ID and GOAPS Password and start filling the GATE application form.
- Upload Documents – Upload Image, Signature, Eligibility Certificate, SC/ST Certificate and PwD Certificate as per the given specifications.
- Payment of Fees – Payment can be done through credit card, debit card, or net banking.
- Declaration – Before submitting the application form, a candidate must read and accept the declaration statement without that you will not be able to submit the application form.
Step 1: Registration
To fill the online application process, candidates have to register themselves. New candidates can register themselves by entering their full name and other details in the form given below.
- Name of the Candidate
- Email Address
- Country of Residence
- Mobile Number
- Create your Password – It should be unique and 8-15 characters long.
- Enter the Captcha and click on ‘Submit. ‘
- If all the details are correct, an SMS and an email will be sent to your mobile number and email address respectively.
- Enter details like a valid email address, mobile number and create a GOAPS password.
- GOAPS password must be unique. Avoid using Date of Birth, your name or some numbers (12345) or string of letters (abcd), etc.
- All communication will be done through the registered mobile number and email id.
- In the case of foreign students, all the communication will be done through the email id.
GOAPS Enrollment ID: After successful registration, an email containing the GOAPS Enrollment ID will be sent. This ID will be used for submitting GATE Application Form 2021, downloading GATE Admit Card and for the purpose of checking result and downloading the scorecard.
NOTE: Only one application form can be filled through one e-mail id
Step 2: Filling of GATE 2021 Application Form
- Enter the Enrollment ID and Password to proceed with GATE Application Form filling process. Go through GATE 2021 Information Brochure and read all the given instructions. There are 4 subsections under stage 2 of How to Apply for GATE 2021. The detailed process is explained below-
- GATE Exam Details: Select the GATE 2021 Paper you wish to appear in. Select your examination country and subsequently pick 3 choices of GATE 2021 Exam Centers.
- While selecting the exam cities, the first two choices must be of the same GATE Zone and the third one can be from any sector.
- Applicant’s Personal Details: Don’t forget to Verify Email Address and Mobile Number. On clicking the Verify Button, an OTP is sent to the registered email id and mobile number. Enter your personal details like Date of Birth, Gender, Nationality, Category etc.
Correspondence Address: Add your Correspondence Address for future correspondence. The following image highlights the required details:
Qualifying Degree Details: You are required to fill the details of your qualifying degree i.e. Name and discipline of the Qualifying degree, Name of college/ university, Passing year, etc.
Step 3: Uploading Documents
Images to be uploaded should be scanned beforehand and kept ready for uploading. Documents that are required to be uploaded are mentioned below-
- Passport size photograph in the white background: 5 kb -200 kb
- Signature in running handwriting: 5 kb-200 kb
- Category Certificate wherever applicable: 10 kb -300 kb
- PwD Certificate wherever applicable: 10 kb – 300 kb
After uploading the documents, read the declaration and tick the checkbox to proceed for the fee payment.
Step 4: GATE 2021 Application Form Fee Payment
- GATE Application Fee varies for Indian nationals and International candidates.
- The payment can be made via net banking facility/credit card or debit card only.
- E-challan mode of payment has been eliminated from the GATE registration process.
- GATE Application Fee is neither refundable nor transferable.
- As per the banking norms, additional online transaction charges will be applicable.
- Candidates belonging to SC/ ST/ PwD category have to upload valid documentary evidence for concession in fees.
- Category wise application fee details are tabulated below:
|Category||Normal Application Fee||Late Application Fee|
|Women||INR 750||INR 1250|
|SC/ ST/ PwD||INR 750||INR 1250|
|All Other Candidates||INR 1500||INR 2000|
|For Exam Center in Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu||US$ 50||US$ 70|
|For Exam Center in Dubai and Singapore||US$ 100||US$ 120|
Payment Issues Resolvement GATE 2021 Application Form
In case the payment made is not reflected in the first go, You should not make another payment immediately. You should wait for at least two days, then check GATE 2020 Application Form Status. Another payment should be made in case of an unsuccessful payment. In case any extra payments are received, it will be automatically refunded to the respective bank account (it may take a week or more, after the closure of GATE Registration).
Step 5: Accepting the Declaration
Before submitting the application form in GOAPS portal, a candidate has to read and accept the declaration statement. Some of the points from the declaration are mentioned below. You cannot skip this step and the application form will only be submitted after you agree with the declaration.
- In the declaration, you have to confirm that the form is filled by you.
- You have understood each and every point in the form and fill up the details accordingly.
- I agree to strictly comply with the code of conduct for GATE 2021.
- If any of the information provided by me is found to be incorrect at any time later, my candidature for GATE 2021 will be cancelled.
- I shall be liable for legal action for providing any type of false information.
GATE 2021 Application Form Status
If the status of your application is “Under Scrutiny”, you need not worry. Wait till the scrutiny team processes your application. Only those candidates whose applications need to be rectified in photo/signature/supporting documents will be contacted by email and SMS. The scrutiny process will continue even after the application portal is closed.
How to Retrieve ID or Password?
Forgot Enrollment ID or Password of GATE 2021?
In certain situations, enrollment id and password can be misplaced by a candidate. If need be, email id can also be used to access GATE Application Form.
There are two options available to access the application form-
- Request for an OTP: If you remember the Enrollment ID/Email Address, but forgotten Password, click on "Request for an OTP" to get One Time Password.
Provide your registered mobile number and Enrollment ID/Email Address. Click on Reset Password to obtain a new one.
- Already have an OTP? : If you already have an OTP, click on "Already have an OTP?" to reset the password.
Enter the following details to create a New Password-
- Enrollment ID/Email Address
- New Password
- Confirm New Password
Password Specifications: Choose a password that cannot be guessed easily. It should be unique and 8-15 characters.
GATE 2021 Form Correction
GATE 2021 Application Form Correction
After the submission of the form, it goes under scrutiny where the authority will check and inform the candidates about the mistakes for the rectification. An additional fee will be applicable for changing the details in the application form.
The following details can be edited before paying the application fee-
- Details like Communication Address, Graduation Details, Date of Birth, Gender and Category.
- One needs to upload a clear and acceptable image of the photograph and signature if they have not uploaded the high-quality images.
- The correct document defining the category status.
- The rectification of selection of the wrong status of qualifying examination along with its correct document can be submitted.
The changes that cannot be made in the submitted GATE Application Form:
- The E-mail Id mentioned by the candidate
- Contact Number is given by the candidate
- Paper for attending GATE 2021
As the above-mentioned details cannot be edited, in case a mistake is made, you have to apply again for GATE 2020 with a new E-mail ID and Phone Number. It must be noted that the previous application fee shall not be refunded.
GATE 2021 Statistics
GATE 2021 Registrations has seen a slight increase in the number of applications. According to reports, a total of 8.83 lakh candidates have registered for GATE 2021. Out of these, 2.9 lakh are female candidates which is 3% more than the previous year. The rise in applications as compared to last year is being attributed to the eligibility of candidates from arts and commerce background to apply for GATE.
According to authorities, over 14000 students from arts and commerce background have applied for GATE 2021. 14916 students have registered for humanities and 14804 have registered for environmental science. As per IIT, Mechanical and Civil engineering still remain top choices for GATE 2021. These two newly added subjects have received more applications as compared to existing nine subjects such as Textile and Fibre Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, and Statistics.
Further, this year, Biomedical Engineering, Textile Engineering and Fibre Science and Statistics are the three subjects that have received the lowest applications with 2292, 2026 and 1990 applications respectively.
Coming to the zonal registration figures, IIT Bombay has received the most number of applications with 1.76 lakh registrations this year. The chart below shows GATE 2021 Zonal Registrations.
Frequently Asked Questions
GATE 2021 Application Form FAQs
Ques. Due to some personal reasons, I was not able to apply for GATE before Oct 7, 2020. What should I do?
Ans. Candidates who are not able to complete their registration process before Oct 8 till 5:00 PM can do so from Oct 8 (after 5:00 PM) to Oct 14 by paying a fine of INR 500 + Registration fees of INR 1500. After this date, no candidate will be able to register for the exam.
Ques. What is GATE 2021 Application fees for Exam Center in Dubai and Singapore?
Ans. GATE 2021 Application fees for Exam Center in Dubai and Singapore is US$ 100 while the late fee for registration is US$ 120.
Ques. Is it compulsory to submit a category certificate during the time of registration of GATE?
Ans. Yes. To get the benefits of the reservation during the time of counselling it is compulsory to mention your category while filling the online application form along with the uploading of the same document in the PDF format. Candidates cannot change the category during the time of the admission process.
Ques. My graduation was through a distance learning program, Can I apply for GATE 2021?
Ques. I completed my graduation in 2019 but I do not have my degree certificate or provisional certificate yet. What document should I upload to prove that I am eligible for GATE 2021?
Ques. Can I register for more than one paper in GATE?
Ans. Yes, you can apply for 2 papers out of 27 for GATE 2021. You have the liberty to choose any paper according to your admission plans, keeping the eligibility criteria in mind.
Ques. I am facing difficulty while uploading my signature. I have followed all the guidelines defined by the GATE authorities. What should I do now?
Ans. In this case, check the format in which you are trying to upload the document. Also, check the size and also do not resize the file. Know more
Ques. What is GATE Application Fee for Foreign Nationals?
Ans. Foreign Nationality candidates are required to pay INR 1500 for centers in India and US$ 50 in Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu. Candidates attempting GATE in Dubai and Singapore, have to pay US$ 100 as application fee.
Ques. I have paid an application fee twice via net banking. What should I do to get reimbursement for the extra fee paid?
Ans. In this case, any excess money paid for the registration will automatically be credited back into the respective account within 5 to 10 working days.
Ques. Do I have to send any hard copy of GATE Application Form to any authority?
Ans. No, you do not have to send any hard copy of the applications to any of the GATE zonal offices.
Ques. When and how can I check my GATE Application Status?
Ans. You can check the status of your form by visiting the official website of GOAPS anytime and entering the required credentials.
Ques. I have submitted my application form and have generated a PDF file. Will I be able to make any changes in the application form now?
Ans. No, once the application is finally submitted and PDF is generated you can not make any changes.
Ques. What ID documents are required while filling in the application form?
Ans. For Indian candidates, it is Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, College ID, Enrolment ID and Driving License. For International candidates, it is valid Passport/ Government issued ID/ College ID/ Employee ID.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.