GATE Scholarship is a merit scholarship offered to first-year candidates who have qualified GATE exam. Students seeking admission in the academic year 2021-22 can expect the scholarship registration to start in the second week of December 2021. An amount of INR 12,400 is offered to qualified candidates for a duration of 24 months or for the overall duration of the course, whichever is of a lesser duration. Eligible courses include M.E/M.Tech./M.Pharm./M.Arch.
- March 27 2021: GATE 2021 Scorecards available at GOAPS portal for all qualified candidates. Download GATE 2021 Scorecard
- March 20, 2021: GATE 2021 Cutoff released for all 27 papers. Check GATE 2021 Cut off
- March 20, 2021: GATE Scholarship application closed by AICTE for the academic year 2020-21. Application for 2021-22 session to start soon.
- March 19, 2021: GATE results released three days before the scheduled date. 30 candidates have secured AIR 1 in GATE 2021. Check GATE 2021 Result
Table of Contents
GATE Scholarship: Important Dates
|GATE Scholarship Registration Starts||Second week of December 2021|
|GATE Scholarship Registration Ends||Second or third week of March 2022|
|Direct Link to Apply for AICTE GATE Scholarship Program (to be updated)|
GATE Scholarship: Highlights
|Scholarship Amount||INR 12,400|
|Scholarship Duration||2 Years|
|Eligibility||Valid GATE Score|
|Scholarship Registration Process||Online|
- The scholarship would be only for the AICTE approved colleges.
- Candidates need to login on to the scholarship page using their unique ID, as provided by the institute during the time of registration. Then they will then have to upload the required documents and submit their application.
- Candidates are advised to download the GATE scorecard as it is one of the major documents required to avail of the scholarship. Download GATE Scorecard
Also Check: GATE Financial Assistance
GATE Scholarship: Eligibility Criteria
The first and major requirement for the candidates to be entitled to GATE scholarship is to have a valid GATE score at the time of admission into their desired course. Students who do not have a valid score card when they get admitted in the course or those students who qualify the examination after the day of admission has passed will not be eligible to apply for the scholarship.
Here are the detailed eligibility criteria for the GATE scholarship by AICTE to help the candidates:
- At the time of admission to the course, the candidates must produce their valid GATE scorecard released after score normalization. Also Check GATE Score Calculation
- To receive the amount of the scholarship, a general saving bank account in the name of the candidate should exist.
- All the candidates falling under the SC/ST/OBC (Non-creamy layer)/ Physically Handicapped/ Differently Abled are eligible to apply for the scholarship only if they have an authentic caste/required certificate.
- In case the students have taken admission before or after the validity of GATE score, their candidature for the scholarship will not be accepted. What is the Validity of GATE Score?
- The scholarship will not be granted to those who have already completed their post-graduation.
- Candidates who have taken admission into the postgraduate programs through management quota, sponsored candidates, and foreign candidates are not eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- Any kind of joint accounts or accounts under the guardian’s names are not allowed for the GATE scholarship.
- Students who have taken admission into part-time postgraduate courses are not eligible for the scholarship.
- In the absence of a valid certificate, the students will not be considered eligible.
- Applicants from the OBC category, who belong to the creamy layer under the OBC category, are not eligible for applying to the scholarship for GATE.
- If a candidate has already availed the scholarship from IIT, NIT then he/she will not be considered eligible for AICTE scholarship.
Once the candidates fulfill all the eligibility criteria and qualify for the scholarship, the amount will be deposited to their bank accounts every month for a period of 2 years or till the date of completion of courses they are pursuing, whichever is earlier.
GATE Scholarship: Application Process
To apply for and avail the scholarship for the GATE examination, the students need to follow the below-given steps:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of AICTE i.e. aicte-india.org.
- Step 2: There will be a clickable link for the AICTE GATE scholarship. Click on that link to move to the application page.
- Step 3: Fill out the information asked on the page and upload the required documents.
- All the information and documents have to be completed on or before the deadline for applying for the scholarship.
- The last date to finish uploading the documents and submitting the application for the year will be tentatively in the last week of August.
- Step 4: Once the application has been submitted after uploading the documents, the concerned institute will verify the information entered by the candidate. As soon as all the data has been verified, they will give their approval and the scholarship will be granted to the student.
GATE Scholarship: Documents Required
Here is a list of documents required while registering for GATE Scholarship:
|Candidate’s Aadhar Card (Exemption for students from Assam, Jammu and Kashmir, and Meghalaya)||GATE scorecard|
|Caste certificate's PDF copy |
BC Candidates - Non-Creamy Layer Certificate in pdf format, not older than 1 year
|Passbook of Candidate (in pdf format)|
GATE Scholarship: Procedure for Institutes
Procedure to be followed by Institutes and students
- Institutes have to upload the eligible PG Student’s details on the AICTE portal on or before the prescribed dates which will be tentatively in October 2021.
- After that provide the student’s Unique ID generated by the system to all the PG students admitted in AICTE approved programs/ Institutions during 2021-22
- Then students undergoing PG courses and having valid GATE score plus admitted in AICTE approved programs/Institutions shall collect the Unique ID from the institute and the login at the official website.
- There you have to Upload the scanned copies of all original documents in JPEG/PDF format only.
- Scanned copy of GATE score card.
- Scanned copy of first page of Bank Passbook.
- Only Aadhar active savings bank accounts will be considered. No-Frill Account, Jan Dhan account, Bank Account having limits on transactions/credits & Joint Account are not permitted.
- Scanned copy of the valid Category Certificate for SC/ST, OBC & Non-Creamy Layer (NCL) latest issued by the Competent Authority for OBC candidates only.
- After all this process, the Institute shall verify the student data and approve their candidature on the portal and ensure that students' personal details, bank details and date of admission/date of commencement are correctly filled correctly.
GATE Scholarship: Important Instructions
Before applying for the scholarship, the students must know all the details with respect to the scholarship and should be aware of all the necessary information. Here are a few key points for the candidates to refer to:
- This scholarship is not for students who have finished their postgraduate studies. It is only for those candidates who are taking admission for the first time into AICTE approved engineering post-graduation courses.
- Any candidate who takes admission into their desired course or institute for the second time after re-qualifying GATE exam will not be eligible for applying for the GATE scholarship if they have already availed this scholarship from AICTE during their first attempt at admission. These students will also not be qualified for the scholarship if they have availed another from a centrally funded institution, for example, IITs, IIITs, and NITs, among others.
- As mentioned above, the scholarship will be available for a duration of 24 months or for the tenure of the course they are undertaking. The end date of the scholarship will be either on the day of the completion of the candidate's course or after 2 years, whichever comes earlier. Any extension, under any circumstances, will not be granted to the students.
- The amount of the scholarship will not be completely transferred to the students' accounts immediately. It will keep getting added on a monthly basis. This is because the scholarship is subject to the satisfactory academic performance of the candidate. It is also to ensure that the student adheres to the rules and regulations and norms set by their Institute or the University, else the scholarship stands canceled.
- Any kind of misconduct observed on the student's part will lead to the discontinuation of their GATE scholarship, at any time. The students need to follow the code of conduct wherein they should not get involved in the act of ragging and/or misbehavior in the campus or areas that fall under the Institute or University's supervision.
- All the information regarding the procedure and mode of payment of the scholarship to be granted to the candidates will be notified from time to time in the form of advertisements in some of the leading Hindi and English newspapers. A copy of these ads will also be available on the web portal. AICTE will be governing the policy decision on the mode of payment and the procedure. The authorities can also share this information exclusively on the website so the candidates should keep checking it regularly.
- It is required that the candidates will undertake eight to ten hours, per week, of teaching-related work or research activities. This will be assigned to them by the Institute they are completing the course with. This teaching work or research activities could include laboratory classes, tutorials, assistance in the library, maintenance and development of laboratories, operation of computers, maintenance of computers and other central facilities as well as their operation, assisting the faculty members with the research and development activities they have undertaken, and many more similar activities.
- The amount of this scholarship given to Postgraduate students is subject to change on the basis of the decision taken by the Department of Higher Resource Development (MHRD), New Delhi after taking approval from the Executive Committee of the AICTE council. The MHRD will keep issuing notifications from time to time regarding any modifications or developments in the scholarship rates.
GATE Scholarship FAQs
Ques: What are the eligibility criteria for getting the GATE scholarship grant after qualifying the examination?
Ans. To be eligible for the GATE scholarship issued by the AICTE for GATE qualified candidates, the students must be pursuing a full-time PG program. This program should be one of these AICTE approved postgraduate courses: Master of Technology, Master of Engineering, Master of Pharmacy, and Master of Architecture. The students must be admitted into institutes approved by the AICTE or in the University departments approved by the AICTE. Additionally, the candidate must have a valid GATE scorecard at the time of admission into the program.
Ques: Can the student change the branch of the Savings Bank account be used or for the GATE scholarship or open a new account in the bank for the scholarship amount?
Ans. No, the bank account should not ideally be changed during the period of the course in order to ensure a smooth transfer of the scholarship amount to the bank account. Changing the branch of the account or opening a fresh account will raise difficulties in the disbursal of the GATE scholarship which will then affect the candidate's course.
Ques: If a student has already been granted a scholarship through their State Government or through the Central Government, are they still eligible for GATE scholarship?
Ans. No. If the candidate has already availed a scholarship funded by the Central Government or by their State Government, then they are no longer eligible for receiving the GATE Scholarship by AICTE. Students who are on any kind of salary or stipend are also not qualified for availing this scholarship.
Ques: What is the procedure for the online application for the GATE scholarship?
Ans. To apply online for the grant of the GATE scholarship, the students need to head over to the official website of AICTE, aicte-india.org. Here, they will find direct links that will take them to the page where they will need to enter the required details like institute ID, student ID, and other important details. They will then need to upload scanned copies of the documents, as asked. After this, the details will be verified by the Institute and it will then be granted to the students.
Ques: What documents are required to be uploaded by the students while applying for the GATE scholarship?
Ans. The scanned copies of all the below documents needs to be uploaded by the candidates on the web portal to apply for GATE Scholarship:
- Aadhar Card
- GATE scorecard
- Caste certificate
- Certificate for the Differently Abled/Physically handicapped
- Non-Creamy Layer certificate for the eligible OBC candidates
Ques: Where can the information regarding the proposal of the rates of the GATE Scholarship grant be found for the reference of the candidates as well as the institutes?
Ans. The proposal for the rates of the GATE scholarship grant is provided for public reference in the form of advertisements in leading English and Hindi newspapers. All the details regarding the procedure along with the guidelines are mentioned in the advertisement and the students plus the institutes are advised to follow the same. In case someone misses to check the newspaper ads, a copy of these will be available on the bulletin of the web portal of AICTE.
Ques: Whom should the candidates contact in case they are facing any difficulties during the online submission of their application for the GATE Scholarship?
Ans. Candidates can contact the Helpdesk service provided by AICTE via email or calls or fax in case they have doubts about GATE Scholarship. The email ID for the help desk is email@example.com, the contact number for calls is 011-24369620, and the fax number is 011- 24369627. This service will be available on all working days between 9:30 am to 5 pm.
Ques: Can I use a joint account with a family member for receiving the GATE scholarship amount after approval?
Ans. No, the students must provide a personal Savings Bank account number in order to receive the GATE scholarship. Joint accounts of any kind will not be considered for the application.
Ques: In case some data is wrongly entered by the candidate or the institute during the whole process, how can they update or delete this data while applying for a GATE scholarship?
Ans. If such a case occurs where the student or the institute has entered some wrong data on the web portal during the application submission and verification process, they can send an email to the Helpdesk service for lodging their grievance. This email should have attached files of the scanned copies of the documents which will help AICTE with resolving this issue.
Ques: Can the category be changed after applying for a GATE Scholarship?
Ans. No, only the category candidate has entered at the time of application will be considered for GATE Scholarship Eligibility.
Ques: Is there a cut-off for GATE Scholarship?
Ans. While there is a cut off for GATE Counseling, there is no cut off marks for GATE Scholarship.
Ques: Is uploading the Aadhar Card necessary for availing GATE Scholarship?
Ans. Yes, uploading the Aadhar Card is necessary for availing GATE Scholarship.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.