PSTCL Recruitment through GATE 2020 – PSTCL will appoint candidates, from the fields of Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science and Information Technology, who appeared in GATE 2020 papers, under the positions of On-training Assistant Engineer and Assistant Manager IT.
After the declaration of GATE result, shortlisted candidates on the basis of their performance in GATE are called for Interview round. The final selection is done on the basis of overall performance of candidate.
GATE or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is a national level entrance exam conducted for admission to M.Tech/ Ph.D. and other Government Scholarships/Assistantships in the field of engineering and technology. GATE 2020 is scheduled for February 1, 2, 8 and 9, 2020 in computer-based mode.
Number of Vacancies
PSTCL hires a large number of candidates every year. Since the past few years, they have been hiring almost 100 to 200 candidates every year. The number is only expected to go higher this year!
Read About PSU Recruitment through GATE
PSTCL Recruitment Job Profile
|Electrical Engineering||Assistant Engineer (AE)|
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering||Assistant Engineer (AE)|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||Assistant Engineer (AE)|
|Instrumentation and Control Engineering||Assistant Engineer (AE)|
|Civil Engineering||Assistant Engineer (AE)|
|Computer Science and Engineering||Assistant Manager (AM)|
|IInformation Technology||Assistant Manager (AM)|
- Assistant Engineer: this role involves extensive field work, planning, infrastructure analysis and development of electricity lines and routes. Candidates with extensive knowledge of real-world implementation of electricity transmission infrastructure projects will be suitable
- Assistant Manager: this role involves maintaining real time information using software and databases through extensive research and recording of daily operations and inventory changes.
PSTCL Recruitment Salary
|Fixed monthly stipend equal to minimum pay band No Dearness Allowance (DA) No Grade Pay (GP) No annual increment Travelling allowance Cover of pension scheme and employer contribution||Basic Pay: Rs. 16,650-39,100 Grade Pay: Rs. 5800 DA Annual increment Pension scheme and employer contribution|
Read About PSU through GATE 2020
PSTCL Recruitment Basic Cutoff for Applying
The candidates should have obtained a valid score in GATE 2020 i.e. a score greater than or equal to the qualifying marks set by the authorities in the respective ME, EE, ECE,IN, CE, CS papers. The following basic cutoffs could be used as an indicator of the mindset of the recruiting company
Since, PSTCL is new to GATE recruitment, we advise you to try and fall in the below rank ranges in order to secure a guaranteed recruitment at PSTCL.
|CATEGORY||ALL INDIA RANK|
Read About How to Crack PSU Interviews?
PSTCL Recruitment Eligibility
- Candidate must have appeared in GATE 2020 paper of his/ her respective branch (see Eligibility Matrix below)
- Full time regular B.E/ B.Tech/ BSc. Degrees in Engineering with a minimum of 60% marks or equivalent degree recognized by AICTE OR
- AMIE with 60% marks from Institution of Engineers (India) Kolkata
- Final year students are also eligible
- Existing Age Limit: 27 to 30 years as on January 1, 2020
- Candidates must have studied Punjabi language till Matriculation or its equivalent level.
|POSITION||STREAMS ELIGIBLE||GATE PAPER CODE|
|ASSISTANT ENGINEER (AE)||Electrical/ Electrical and Electronics Engineering||EE|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||ECE|
|Instrumentation and Control Engineering||IN|
|ASSISTANT MANAGER (AM)||Computer Science/ IT||CS|
PSTCL Recruitment Reservation
Reservation of seats under different positions is applicable only to Punjab domicile candidates
Ques. What is domicile?
Ans. Domicile refers to the place where the candidate’s permanent residence is. All candidates having permanent residence (according to valid Address proof) as Punjab are treated as Punjab domicile.
- Refer to the image above for information about Reservations in recruitment at PSTCL.
- Candidates must avail their certificates, if belonging to the 6 categories mentioned above, stating their category best before filling the Application form. Discrepancies will not be entertained
NOTE: Category once filled by candidate in the Application form cannot be changed under any circumstances.
Read About GATE PSU Cutoff
PSTCL Recruitment Application Fee
The application fee has not yet been notified by PSTCL. However, you can be assured that it is usually in the range of Rs. 400 - Rs.1000 for General candidates and may even be exempted for the Reserved category candidates
PSTCL Recruitment Application Process
- The candidates must apply through the online Application that will be hosted on the PSTCL website. No other modes of application are going to be entertained.
- Do not forget to have a valid personal email ID as it is going to be used for all communications during recruitment process. Constantly visit your email to not miss any update!
- Keep all academic and eligibility certificates handy before starting the online application. Modification to registered application is not an option.
- Enter all the required fields in the application
- After applying, check your email for copy of form and challan and the particulars that needs to be filled in the Challan.
- Take a print out of the Application form and sign it. Similarly, take two printouts of the Challan- Fill in application details and fee to be deposited in the Challan. The candidate will fill up the details of Application registered and details of fee to be deposited in the challan, and deposit the fee in the bank notified by PSTCL.
- Now, use the Computer transaction number obtained from the bank to Submit the application successfully after uploading photograph and signature.
- DO NOT do multiple registrations otherwise your application can be cancelled
Adhere to the given instructions for uploading the photograph and signature to the Application
|Clear and recent Size: 20 KB – 50 KB Dimensions: 220X230 pixels Only religious headwear allowed but should not cover face Caps, hats and shades not allowed||On white paper with black ink pen Size: 10 KB-20 KB Dimensions: 140 X 60 Signature must remain same throughout recruitment process otherwise application may be cancelled|
PROCEDURE FOR UPLOADING PICTURE AND SIGNATURE
DO NOT FORGET to print the application form after uploading photograph, signature, and Bank Challan details
PSTCL Recruitment Selection Process
- GATE 2020 (80% weight): interested and eligible candidates need to appear in GATE 2020 in papers of their streams/branches- Mechanical Engineering paper (ME), Electrical Engineering (EE) paper, Civil Engineer (CE) paper, Computer Science/ IT (CS) paper. Only the candidates scoring valid score i.e. a score greater than or equal to the qualifying marks fixed by the GATE authorities will be shortlisted for the next round of recruitment.
- Personal Interview (10% weight): encompasses questions such as “What is your dream job”, “Why do you want to join a PSU like PSTCL”, “Where do you want to take your career in the next 5 years”, “What are your strengths and weaknesses”. Candidates must familiarize themselves with the status of the company, its projects and standing in the industry. Exceptional communication skills and English proficiency will give you an edge over others so working on these parameters will take you a long way in your career at PSTCL.
Most Importantly: Core technical and academic concepts must be very strong as they also reflect your capability to score high marks in GATE paper.
*Candidates must have deep expertise in MS Office in order to compete with an edge.
You must carry all your necessary documents and certificates for Verification purposes
- 5 Passport sized photographs
- Interview call letter (original and photocopy)
- GATE 2017 scorecard
- Class X Marksheet, Pass Certificate
- Class XII Marksheet, Pass Certificate
- University degree/ Certificate of completion/ Marksheets of all semesters
- Photo ID proof- PAN card/Aadhar card
- Address proof- Passport/ Aadhar card [Extremely important for Punjab domicile candidates to prove their address status and avail reservations]
- SC/ST/OBC/PWD candidates must carry their certificates of caste status/disability proofs at the time of personal interview failing which their candidacy may stand cancelled.
- You should carry two photo copies of each document and create two identical sets with one photo copy in each set.
- Students must remember to apply through online application process; no manual applications will be entertained.
- Enter your correct GATE registration number while online application process.
- Admit Card with Overwriting will lead to cancelation in student registration.
- Candidate must keep their admit card and registration slip before final selection/result.
Any candidate submitted false/incorrect information shall be rejected at any stage of selection process as PSTCL follows a mechanism to check your documents when you will the application form online.
PSTCL Recruitment Result List
The results of the recruitment process will be intimated by E-mail once all steps of recruitment process including background verification and document screening are complete. Constantly check your registered Email for every update!
PSTCL Recruitment Frequently Asked Questions
Ques. Does college CGPA matter much? Is it okay to have poor CGPA but a great GATE score?
Ans. GATE rank and score matter the most but having a good CGPA in college reinstates that the candidate was serious and consistent throughout his/her technical education which also led to him/her scoring a great GATE score. Thus, there is no compensation for poor CGPA. As per the norms, 60% is the minimum aggregate expected from the candidates. Minimum should not be taken as a benchmark!
Ques. Does gap after college education affect candidacy for recruitment?
Ans. If you have been working after completion of college and have secured great GATE 2020 score, then the gap in education will not matter much. Your interview may be swayed towards your previous job experiences which would be a positive for you. But, do not forget that PSTCL tests core technical- practical and theoretical knowledge so prepare well in advance!
Ques. What will happen in case I forget any of my documents at home during the interview?
Ans. In case you forget to carry any of the documents mentioned in the call letter/ admit card, you will need to sign an undertaking mentioning that you will furnish the missed documents by a certain date, failing which your candidacy will stand cancelled.
Ques.. Give a tip to stand out from other candidates?
Ans. Focus on your core concepts and knowledge. Apart from that, learn MS office, especially MS Excel to stand out from other candidates and contribute to administrative work in the company as well.