IIT Madras M.Tech Admission 2020 - The application forms of IIT Madras 2020 M.Tech admission are closed and the result of Round 1 and round 2 is available at the official website of the institute. The selection is done based on GATE Cut off.
- For Round 1 and 2, the time window for viewing of offers and making a decision by candidates through COAP website was June 10 – 11 and 17 – 18, 2020 respectively.
- For Round 1 and 2, the time window for Fee Payment for the "Accept and Freeze" by candidates at IIT Madras website is June 12 - 14 and 19 – 21, 2020 respectively. Check IIT Madras Round 2 Offers
- For Round 3, the result will be published at COAP website on June 24 - 25, 2020 and the deadline to accept that offer at IIT Madras website is June 26 - 28, 2020
Applicants having minimum required marks should also apply at COAP to access the admission process. Candidates graduating/ graduated from IITs with B.Tech degree and having CGPA of 8.0 (on a scale of 10) or above can apply without GATE Scores. The institute also offers financial assistantship to the eligible candidates.
M.Tech admission will be finalized strictly in order of merit as per GATE score (CGPA & Department Review for IIT Graduates) and on the basis of choices provided in the application form. The total number of seats in IIT Madras is 508* (the number of seats is subject to change). Few seats are reserved for SC/ ST/ OBC and PwD category candidates according to the Government of India rules.
IIT Madras Counselling Dates
IIT Madras M.Tech Admission 2020 Important Dates
The below table represents the complete schedule of IIT Madras M.Tech admission 2020.
|Round 1||June 10 - 11, 2020||
June 12 - 14, 2020
|Round 2||June 17 - 18, 2020||
June 19 - 21, 2020
|Round 3||June 24 - 25, 2020||
June 26 - 28, 2020
|Round 4||July 01 - 02, 2020||
July 03 - 05, 2020
|Round 5||July 08 - 09, 2020||
July 10 - 12, 2020
Check GATE Counselling
Programs Offered at IIT Madras
M.Tech Programs Offered in IIT Madras
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras offers M.Tech admission in fifteen different specializations.
- Aerospace Engineering
- Applied Mechanics
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Ocean Engineering
- Catalysis Technology (Interdisciplinary)
- Clinical Engineering (Interdisciplinary)
- Petroleum Engineering (Interdisciplinary)
IIT Madras Counselling Eligibility
IIT Madras 2020 M.Tech Eligibility Criteria
IIT Madras Counselling Eligibility
The following group of candidates is eligible for taking admission in IIT M.Tech programs:
- All those candidates who have qualified GATE 2018/GATE 2019/GATE2020.
- Candidates who are graduating/graduated from IITs with B. Tech degree but without GATE score. CGPA should be 7.5 and above for SC/ST and 8.0 for all others.
- Applicants sponsored by various organizations recognized by DST as Research and Development units.
- Candidates sponsored by NIOT or from educational institutions approved by AICTE/UGC/Government and from Government/Public Sector Undertakings.
- Quality Improvement Program (QIP) candidates.
- User-Oriented Programs (UOP) candidates of various organizations/industries as per the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the institute.
- Defense Sponsored Candidates
Also Check GATE Eligibility
Apply for IIT Madras Counselling
IIT Madras M.Tech. Application Form 2020
Apply for IIT Madras Counselling
For GATE Qualified Candidates and IIT B.Tech. Graduates:
Those candidates who want to apply with a valid GATE score or as IIT B.Tech graduate should register on COAP and the official website first. In case they want to apply with more than one of the above, register separately using the same email and mobile number but with different credentials on the institute’s website.
How to Apply Online?
- Online registration has been started from March 20, 2020 and will remain open till April 30, 2020.
- GATE 2020 qualified candidates should apply after the declaration of GATE results.
- Application fee (per application): INR 200 for SC/ ST/ PWD Candidates and INR 400 for others.
- For Sponsored Candidates: The application form can be downloaded from IIT Madras website, under notices.
- For Foreign Nationals who obtained a qualification in India/Abroad: Application procedure is similar to GATE qualified candidates.
- However, Foreign Nationals are not eligible for HTTA and therefore can choose program codes ending with (F) only.
Documents to be submitted with Application Form
Candidates should upload the following documents (if applicable) during online application:
- SC/ ST/ OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) certificate
- Certificate of Disability (for PWD Candidates) from the authorized medical board
- IIT B. Tech. Graduates or those who are graduating in 2020 should enclose a copy of the latest CGPA statement from the concerned IIT.
- If the discipline of your qualifying degree is ZE or ZS, you must upload the list of courses along with their syllabi.
Read About PSU through GATE
The Chairman, M.Tech. Admission Committee
IIT Madras, GATE Office, Chennai 600036
Phone: 044 - 22578200, Fax: 044 - 22578204
IIT Madras Admission Process
IIT Madras M.Tech. Admission Process 2020
IIT Madras Admission Process
Admission of the candidates (who are not required to take Suitability Test/ Interview) will be decided strictly in the order of merit as per the GATE Score (CGPA & Department Review for IIT Graduates) and on the basis of choices given by them in the application.
Applicants who are required to appear for the Suitability Test/ Interview should report at the office of the Head of the respective Department on the stipulated date
- For PwD candidates with any category of disability (viz., blindness or low vision, hearing impairment, locomotor disability or cerebral palsy), the benefit will be given to only those who have at least 40% permanent physical impairment in relation to a body part/ system/ extremity/ whole body, etc.
- These candidates must upload the certificate of disability from the authorized medical board attached to one of the following: Vocational Rehabilitation Centre (VRC) for Physically Handicapped persons /Special Employment Exchange for Physically Handicapped/ Government Hospital (District and State level).
HTTA and N-HTTA:
- The first round of offers for HTTA and N-HTTA seats are likely to be sent after May 15, 2020 (tentatively).
- Candidates, who accept the offer, will be required to make online payment within the stipulated date.
- Second and subsequent offers would depend on the availability of the seats.
- In the final round, if there are vacant seats within a department offering multiple programs, it will be re-distributed to other programs within the department.
Reporting for Admission:
- GATE qualified candidates and IIT B.Tech. graduates who accept the offer of admission should produce completion certificates of their qualifying degree examination and join the college by July 27, 2020.
- Sponsored candidates also will have to report for admission on July 22, 2020 (tentative)
- Selected candidates should pay all the fees and deposits as applicable.
- They should produce a medical fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the appropriate format along with the letter of offer of admission.
GATE Qualified Foreign Nationals:
Admission to Foreign Nationals follows a similar procedure with General Category candidates.
Previous Years Cut Off
IIT Madras Previous Year GATE Cut off
Previous Years Cut Off
GATE Cutoff 2018 for IIT Madras
|Engineering Mechanics (Fluid Mechanics/Solid Mechanics)||AE CE CH ME MT XE||786||739||564||446|
|Biomedical Engineering (Biomedical B.Tech)||AE CE CH CS EC EE ME MT XE IN||581||434|
|Biomedical Engineering||AE CE CH CS EC EE ME MT XE||736||635|
|Bioprocess Engineering||BT CH||676||591||487||487|
|Catalysis Technology||CH XE||539||489||394|
|Building Technology an d Construction Management||CE||863||754||639|
|Building Technology an d Construction Management||AR||856||195|
|Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering||CE||795||744||591||470|
|Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering||AG||660||156|
|Clinical Engineering||AE BT CE CH CS EC EE IN ME MT PI TF XE||682||577||383||382|
|Computer Science and Engineering||CS||770||695||560||394|
|Communication and Signal Processing||EC||692||622||436||320|
|Power System and Power Electronics||EE||762||576||470|
|Micro Electronics and VLSI Design||EC||775||662||589||365|
|Control and Instrumentation||IN||755||705||563||292|
|Control and Instrumentation||EC EE||749||742||624||433|
|Microelectronics and Photonics||EC EE IN||766||698||503||273|
|Integrated Circuits and Systems||EC EE IN||745||727||616||268|
GATE Cutoff 2017 for IIT Madras
|M.Tech Programme||Programme Codes||Eligible Discipline Codes||General||OBC||SC||ST||Gen-PwD||OBC-PwD|
|AE1Y||PR, NA, MM, MF, AU,CH,EN, CE||681||644||-||-||-||-|
|AE1Y||ZS, EC, ZE, CS, EE, IN||-||-||634||-||-||-|
|Engineering Mechanics (Fluid Mechanics/ Solid Mechanics)||AM1Y||NA, MM, AE, ZE, AU, CE, CH, ME||766||743||572||405||-||-|
|AM2Y||MM, AE, ZE, ME, CE,CH,CS,EC,EE||760||656||-||-||-||-|
|Catalysis Technology||CA1Y||ZE, CH||577||508||362||246||-||-|
|Building Technology and Construction Management||CE1Y||CE||754||723||-||527||321||-|
|CE2Y||ZE, AG, BT, CH, EV, ME||814||676||-||-||-||380|
|Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering||CE4Y||CE||700||666||478||362||-||--|
|CE4Y||ZE, EV, ME||-||-||-||500||-||-|
|Chemical Engineering||CH1Y||ZE, ZS, BI, CH, EV||582||573||384||242||-||199|
|Clinical Engineering||CL1Y||NA, PE, ZE, MR, AE, AG, AR, AU, BI, BM, BT, CE, CH, CR, CS, EC, EE, EN, EP, EV, IE, IN, IT, ME, MF, ML, MM, PI, PR||649||502||409||197||-||-|
|Computer Science and Engineering||CS1Y||CY, GG, MA, MC, MP, MS, NT, AE, AG, AR, AU, BI, BM, BT, CE, CH,CR, CS, EC, EE, EN, EP, EV, IE, IN, IT, ME, MF, ML, MM, MR, NA, PE, PI, PR, ZE, OR, PH, ST, ZL, ZS||799||658||537||345||266||-|
|Communication and Signal Processing||EE1Y||ZE, EC, EE, EP, IN||740||691||593||308||597||290|
|Power Systems and Power Electronics||EE2Y||EE, EN, EP, IN, ZE, EC||771||719||549||490||264||-|
|Microelectronics and VLSI Design||EE3Y||EC, EE, EP, IN, ZE||838||717||606||423||727||410|
|Control and Instrumentation||EE4Y||IN||788||700||523||398||339||--|
|EE4Y||EP, BM, EC, EE, ZE||779||706||550||-||-||430|
|Microelectronics and Photonics||EE5Y||PH, EP||429||-||213||-||-||-|
|EE5Y||IN, EC, EE, ZE||736||678||600||472||-||-|
|EE6Y||EE, EC, EP, IN, ZE||773||693||554||404||566||-|
|Industrial Mathematics and Scientific Computing||MA1Y||MA||396||318||315||-||-||-|
|MA1Y||NA, AE, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, ME, MM||858||-||676||387||-||-|
|ME1Y||ZS, AE, AU, CH, EN, MR, PE, ZE||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Design (Mechanical Engineering)||ME2Y||ME||835||803||558||458||402||317|
|ME2Y||ZE AE, AU, ZS||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|ME3Y||ZE, PR, AE, AU, CS, EC, EE, IE, IN, MF, ML, NA, Pl||805||796||638||529||257||-|
|Metallurgical and Materials Engineering||MM1Y||MM||526||423||249||206||-||-|
|MM1Y||MF, MS, NT, BT, CH, CR, CY, ME, PH, PR, ZE, ZS||772||739||514||402||-||-|
|Ocean Engineering||0E1Y||CE, ME, MR, ZE, AE, NA||655||560||427||268||-||-|
|Ocean Technology||0E2Y||ME, MR, NA, AE, CE, ZE||677||572||392||294||-||-|
|PE1Y||AE, AG, AR, AU, BI, BM, BT, CE, CH, CR, CS, EC, EE, EN, EP, EV, IE, IN, IT, ME, MF, ML, MM, MR, NA, PE, PI, PR, ZE, CY, GG, MA, MC, MP, MS, NT, OR, PH, ST, ZL, ZS||677||589||267||56||-||-|
|Functional Materials and Nanotechnology||PH1Y||PH||349||301||236||316||-||-|
|PH1Y||ZE, CY, EE, MM, MS||659||603||325||-||-||-|
Note: This indicates that courses with “Y” provide financial assistance in the form of Half-Time Teaching Assistantship (HTTA).
GATE 2017 Cutoff for IIT Madras (with N code)
|M.Tech Programm||Programme Codes||Eligible Discipline Codes||General||OBC||SC||ST||Gen-PwD|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE1N||AE||592||-||- -||-||-|
|AE1N||MF, MM, NA, PR, AU, CE, CH, EN||599||-||-||-||-|
|Engineering Mechanics (Fluid Mechanics/Solid Mechanics)||AM1N||CE, CH, ME, MM, AE, AU, NA, ZE||719||-||-||-||-|
|Building Technology an d Construction Management||CE1N||CE||711||-||-||-||-|
|Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering||CE4N||CE||603||-||-||-||-|
|Chemical Engineering||CH1N||EV, ZE, ZS, CH, BI||569||-||-||-||-|
|Photonics||EE3N||EC, EE, EP, IN, ZE||733||-||-||-||352|
|EE5N||EC, EE, IN, ZE||723||--||-||-||-|
|EE6N||EE, EC, EP, IN, ZE||774||-||-||-||-|
|Industrial Mathematics and Scientific Computing||MA1N||MA||358||-||-||-||-|
|ME1N||CH, MR, PE, ZE, ZS, AE, AU, EN||-||-||-||-|
|Mechanical Engineering - Design||ME2N||ME||796||-||-||-||-|
|ME2N||ZE, ZS, AU, AE||-||-||-||--|
|ME3N||Pl, PR,ZE, AE, AU, CS, EC, EE, IE, IN, MF, ML, NA||812||-||-||-||-|
|Metallurgical and Materials Engineering||MM IN||MM||454||-||-||-||-|
|MM1N||PR, ZE, ZS, BT, CH, CR, CY, ME, MF, MS, NT, PH||761||-||-||-||-|
|Ocean Engineering||0E1N||MR, NA, ZE, AE, CE, ME||655||-||-||-||-|
|Solid State Technology||PH1N||PH||259||-||-||-||-|
Note: This indicates that courses with “N” do not provide financial assistance in the form of Half-Time Teaching Assistantship (HTTA).
IIT Madras GATE Cutoff 2016
Mentioned below is the streamwise M.Tech cutoff for IIT Madras. Note that GATE cutoff varies according to the category of the candidates:-
|Discipline/Course Code||Prog. Codes||Qualifying Discipline||General||OBC||SC||ST|
|Applied Mechanics - Fluid Mechanics and Solid Mechanics||AM1Y||AE,AU,CE,CH,ME,MM,NA,ZE||750||695||491||472|
|Applied Mechanics - Biomedical Engineering||AM2N||BM||508||449||-||-|
|Applied Mechanics - Biomedical Engineering||AM2Y||IN||708||-||-||-|
|Applied Mechanics - Biomedical Engineering||AM2Y||AE,CE,CH,CS,EC,EE,ME,MM||760||-||465||-|
|Catalysis Technology||CA1Y||CY, ZS||578||530||-||-|
|Civil Engineering - Building Technology and Construction Management||CE1Y||CE||810||708||522||643|
|Civil Engineering - Building Technology and Construction Management||CE1Y||AR||860||-||-||-|
|Civil Engineering - Environmental Engineering||CE2Y||CE||689||548||516||-|
|Civil Engineering - Environmental Engineering||CE2Y||AG,BT,CH,EV,ME,ZE||704||619||-||-|
|Civil Engineering - Geotechnical Engineering||CE3Y||CE||690||653||501||-|
|Civil Engineering - Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering||CE4Y||CE||671||542||-||363|
|Civil Engineering - Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering||CE4Y||AG||625||-||290||-|
|Civil Engineering - Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering||CE4Y||EV,ME,ZE||-||-||-||443|
|Civil Engineering - Structural Engineering||CE5Y||CE||828||798||445||-|
|Civil Engineering - Transportation Engineering||CE6Y||CE||743||693||544||364|
|Civil Engineering - Transportation Engineering||CE6Y||AR,ZE||860||-||-||-|
|Computer Science Engineeriing||-||AE,AG,AR,AU,BI,BM,BT,CE||748||718||520||479|
|Electrical Engineering - Communication Systems||EE1Y||EC,EE,EP,IN,ZE||777||710||589||412|
|Electrical Engineering - Power Systems and Power Electronics||EE2Y||EC,EE,EN,EP,IN,ZE||759||661||505||510|
|Electrical Engineering - Micro Electronics and VLSI Design||EE3Y||EC,EE,EP,IN,ZE||819||745||717||455|
|Electrical Engineering - Control and Instrumentation||EE4Y||IN||771||637||499||277|
|Electrical Engineering - Control and Instrumentation||EE4Y||BM,EC,EE,EP,ZE||768||714||-||-|
|Electrical Engineering - Photonics||EE5Y||PH,EP||451||359||256||-|
|Electrical Engineering - Photonics||EE5Y||EC,EE,IN,ZE||748||-||501||434|
|M.Tech. in Industrial Mathematics and Scientific Computing||MA1N||MA||452||352||291||225|
|Industrial Mathematics and Scientific Computing||MA1Y||AE,CE,CH,CS,EC,EE,ME,MM||865||-||468||501|
|Mechanical Engineering - Thermal Stream||ME1N||ME||798||770||581||424|
|Mechanical Engineering - Design Stream||ME2N||ME||865||781||554||443|
|Mechanical Engineering - Manufacturing Engineering Stream||ME3Y||ME||769||743||617||380|
|Mechanical Engineering - Manufacturing Engineering Stream||ME3Y||AE,AU,CS,EC,EE,IE,IN,MF,ML||839||-||698||-|
IIT GATE Cutoff
|IIT Delhi||Click Here|
|IIT Roorkee||Click Here|
|IIT Guwahati||Click Here|
|IIT Bombay||Click Here|
|IIT Kharagpur||Click Here|
|IIT Gandhinagar||Click Here|
|IIT BHU||Click Here|
|IIT Jodhpur||Click Here|
|IIT Hyderabad||Click Here|
|IIT Patna||Click Here|
|IIT Mandi||Click Here|
|IISC Bangalore||Click Here|
IIT Madras M.Tech Admission: FAQs
Q.1 What is HTTA? What is N-HTTA?
Ans: Financial assistance in the form of Half-Time Teaching Assistantship (HTTA) at the rate of INR 12400 per month (tenable for a maximum period of 24 months) is available for Indian nationals taking admission in M. Tech. programs. Students taking admission through HTTA category are required to assist the department for 8 hours of work per week related to academic activities of the department such as laboratory demonstration, tutorials, assessment of assignments, test papers, seminars, research projects, etc.
Some seats are also available without HTTA (N-HTTA, i.e., without any financial assistance) in some M. Tech. Programs. There is a provision for the candidates (Indian Nationals) who have joined M. Tech. Streams under N- HTTA category to convert to HTTA at the end of the first semester depending on the vacancies in HTTA category and on the basis of their performance in the first semester examinations.
Q.2 Is there any limit on the number of programs one can apply to?
Ans: Candidates can apply for a maximum of 8 programs as per the application form.
Q.3 What are the steps to be taken/ documents required when I accept an offer of admission?
Ans: Candidates will have to pay the institute’s fee online. Please note that you may have to additionally bear the charges pertaining to the use of payment portal. The charges may vary depending on the use of Net banking or Credit/ Debit cards. After paying the fee candidates should:
- Download the offer documents
- Sign the letter of acceptance and send it along with original GATE Score Card and attested copy of Category Certificate (SC/ ST/ OBC-NCL) within the stipulated date to the address below. Use only speed post for sending these documents.
M. Tech. Admission Committee,
GATE Office, IIT Madras,
Chennai – 600036.
Q.4 I am a Foreign national who graduated in India/ abroad, and I do not have a GATE Score. How can I apply for M.Tech programs?
Ans: Please contact the following people for details:
Deputy Registrar (Academic Courses), IIT Madras,
Chennai - 600036, Tamil Nadu, India
The advertisement and application form for M. Tech. programs for Foreign Nationals (who don’t have a GATE Score) can be found on IIT Madras website (www.iitm.ac.in) under notices.